Is there a roach native to North America?

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I just read the American roach, Periplaneta americana is from Africa. So I wanted to know if there's any true native species here in the US. I couldn't pull anything up online.

- JohnD.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Arenivaga has got to be N. amer(?) That's kinda weird none pop up fast in a search engine, sup wit dat. I tried it also.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are probably hundreds of native species, not sure what they are but there are definitely tons of native species here

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
List of native roaches I can think of :

There are 31 species of Arenivaga in the US if I remember correctly. All native to here.
There are 2 species of Eremoblatta in the US as well.
There are 12 species of Parcoblatta in the US, P. americana, P. bolliana, P. caudelli, P. desertae, P. divisa, P. fulvescens, P. lata, P. notha, P. pennsylvanica, P. uhleriana, P. virginica, and P. zebra
Pseudomops septentrionalis is believed to be native to TX
Ischnoptera deropeltiformis
Plectoptera poeyi and picta are native if I remember correctly.
Aglaopteryx (Euthlastoblatta) gemma
Euthlastoblatta abortiva
Compsodes schwarzi
Latiblattella rehni
Latiblattella lucifrons
Cariblatta lutea
Cariblatta minima
Chorisoneura texensis
Cryptocercus clevelandi, darwini, garciai, punctulatus, and wrighti
Eurycotis floridana

That's all I can think of for now

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Are you sure, I thought the only species in the US was E.subdiaphana, pretty sure E.hirsuta lives in Mexico, specifically Baja California, I haven't seen any records of E.hirsuta in the US. Would love if both species were in the US though, otherwise it's gonna be really hard to get E.hirsuta into the hobby.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
List of native roaches I can think of :

There are 31 species of Arenivaga in the US if I remember correctly. All native to here.
There are 12 species of Parcoblatta in the US, P. americana, P. bolliana, P. caudelli, P. desertae, P. divisa, P. fulvescens, P. lata, P. notha, P. pennsylvanica, P. uhleriana, P. virginica, and P. zebra
Pseudomops septentrionalis is believed to be native to TX
Ischnoptera deropeltiformis
Plectoptera poeyi and picta are native if I remember correctly.
Aglaopteryx (Euthlastoblatta) gemma
Euthlastoblatta abortiva
Compsodes schwarzi
Latiblattella rehni
Latiblattella lucifrons
Cariblatta lutea
Cariblatta minima
Chorisoneura texensis
Cryptocercus clevelandi, darwini, garciai, punctulatus, and wrighti
Eurycotis floridana

That's all I can think of for now
Wow, I had no idea there were 31 species of Arenivaga! From what I've read, both Plectoptera are thought to be introduced, but are native to nearby countries at least (Mexico, Cuba, etc.) P. poeyi could be native, but I'd have to dig around for more info first.

Are you sure, I thought the only species in the US was E.subdiaphana, pretty sure E.hirsuta lives in Mexico, specifically Baja California, I haven't seen any records of E.hirsuta in the US. Would love if both species were in the US though, otherwise it's gonna be really hard to get E.hirsuta into the hobby.
Fingers crossed right? ;) Now that I think about it, I do have a friend who lives in Southern California...might have to try contacting him and see what happens!

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oops....my bad. Thought there were 2 but turns out there's only one (for now :p ).

Wow, I had no idea there were 31 species of Arenivaga! From what I've read, both Plectoptera are thought to be introduced, but are native to nearby countries at least (Mexico, Cuba, etc.) P. poeyi could be native, but I'd have to dig around for more info first.
poeyi is definitely native. picta is questionable but I'd imagine they are native to here.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
poeyi is definitely native. picta is questionable but I'd imagine they are native to here.
I wouldn't be too surprised. It's such a small species that it's easy to overlook. I'm hoping to get both species in culture this year or next, but it's hard to find someone to hunt for them for me. Can certainly keep trying though!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Actually there are 48 species of Arenivaga total, we have 31 in the US, and the rest are in Mexico. Previously there were much fewer species, but the genus was revised by Heidi Hopkins in 2014, and she described a whole bunch of new species! :)

Fingers crossed right? ;) Now that I think about it, I do have a friend who lives in Southern California...might have to try contacting him and see what happens!
Well he may be in the range of E.subdiaphana, which we still don't have in the hobby, so definitely contact him! Hopefully he'll be able to find some... :D

Oops....my bad. Thought there were 2 but turns out there's only one (for now :p ).
Ah well, looks like it may be a while until E.hirsuta is able to get into the hobby then. Hopefully we can at least get E.subdiaphana into the hobby, I really want to get my hands on some so bad! :astonished: