Is The L Parahybana Female?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a pic of its underside. I am thinking it is female. SHe is 7 inches and she is about in premolt. This is the same 3 inch tarantula that ate a lizard in September in the very first post I ever made here. SHe has molted 3 times since then.

Attachments

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's a tough one. The space between the anterior book lungs looks dark - and the lungs themselves look somewhat closer than the posteriors. It would be ideal if someone with an opposing sex parahybana could demonstrate. I have 4"-ers which wouldn't really be the same, but I can certainly post theirs.

bill

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Determining the gender of a Tarantula I am discovering is like Rocket Science. It's a very difficult thing to determine. But my educated guess is always going to be female since males are in shorter commodity compared to the number of females.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cool name, G2K. Check out my old website (did it about 7 years ago): http://pixelator.home.mindspring.com/ --- check out the Godzilla section. ;)

But anyway, it depends on the eggsac and the spider. Some sport more males, it seems. there are theories about temp determining that, etc... But for some people it does seem like they're "doomed" to get sub males all the time. I know I felt that way about 2 years ago when four of my spiders turned up male (P. cambridgei, T. gigas, C. cyaneopubescens and A. metallica).

bill
(Godzi-fan)

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hmm, it looks like a male to me---you see the little light-brownish "circle" in between the first set of booklungs? those might be the extra set of fusules that are most likely for building sperm webs. you can find more detailed information about sexing here: http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html

but again, i'm going with male.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here, I lightened the picture some to make it easier to see.
Hope this helps..

Attachments

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Cool name, G2K. Check out my old website (did it about 7 years ago): http://pixelator.home.mindspring.com/ --- check out the Godzilla section. ;)

But anyway, it depends on the eggsac and the spider. Some sport more males, it seems. there are theories about temp determining that, etc... But for some people it does seem like they're "doomed" to get sub males all the time. I know I felt that way about 2 years ago when four of my spiders turned up male (P. cambridgei, T. gigas, C. cyaneopubescens and A. metallica).

bill
(Godzi-fan)
I've loved Godzilla movies ever since I was a little girl. But I think we differ on Godzilla vs. Destroyah. I actually liked it better than all the other Heisei films except for Godzilla 1985. I especially like the design of final form Destroyah.

On a final note, I hope to do buisness with you in the future concerning the purchase of tarantulas in the near future as well. ;)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I would guess male as well..I have a 7" sub adult male, and

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With white fangs like that it is guaranteed to be a molting pose.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As you could probably tell before I told you anything, I can't tell either, but I can tell you Parahybanas seem pretty hard to sex, at least to my untrained eyes.
On a sidenote, my Potato just molted! After having been in premolt for at least 5 and a half weeks. Niiice adult colours.. =)

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jacen,

L. Parahybana males have a very obvious pattern on the epigastirc plate- it's almost a an "upside down U" rather than a spot seen on most male species. Yours may have that. . .I can't tell for sure from the pictures. My females have a very wide plate at the furrow with no spot or pattern on it. I did have a male molt into maturity after being a very large juvi a year or two ago- he was slightly over 8" in legspan post-molt. Pre-molt, he was about 6 1/2" or 7".

I THINK you've got a boy, but can't tell for sure from the photos.

-Garrick

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks muchly everybody. Kind of a disappointment. If it molts and is obviosuly a mature male then I will have a pretty difficult time finding a female to send him to so I am pretty much taking care of a spider with a dwindling life.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I keep staring at the pictures and going: girl, no, boy, no, girl, no, boy...

That one's a bit cryptic. There's some features that look very female, but then there's nothing that screams one or the other. I would think at that size the next moult should definitley let you answer conclusively.

I would *guess* female myself, but I sure wouldn't be making breeding arrangements for the future just yet ;)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I posted a picture of the sinde of its last molt when it molted and we still had this debate so really I guess it must be androgynous.

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does any body know how big L.parahybana has to be to breed?? i have a 5 inch female..