is the female intrested or warning him?

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I just got a MM avic metallica and he is in a critter keeper inside the females tank. The female has been on top the critter keeper the entire time. For the last half hour she has been making a big liquid blob the size of a quater. The liquid is perfectly clear and seems to be comming from her fangs. What is she doing?

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Nevermind. I made a call and was told it is urine to let the boy know she is there. The male is making a spermweb already!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You've been misinformed;

Any fluid coming from the mouth is either going to be venom dripping down or some sort of digestive/saliva fluid. I've seen lots of my tarantulas do this when grooming so i assume its their way of cleaning.

Additionally tarantulas urinate and defaecate like birds; it all goes out the back end in one evacuation. It will show up in the tank as a white-ish splotch in the tank.

I don't know if avics do this, but lots of species start drumming when they're in the mood, and as for sent based / pheromone based attraction I doubt the tarantula is going to dump a big load of fluid on the ground. It is much more likely it is in the webbing they lay than anything else.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
ahh well maybe she was drooling at the sight of him ;) either way whatever it was I guess it was not anything to be worried about. He finished his spermweb so I stuck him in there with her. She seems to be more into him than he is her. There is mutual drumming but not mating yet.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You only just got him delivered to you today. You should let him get over the stress of getting shipped before you try to pair them. I know how it is though being excited and everything to get things started, but its best to wait a bit. Are you sure it was a sperm web he was making? When I first got him he started to web quick, but it was just a hammock type web to make a home for him self to get settled in, not a sperm web. That took him like 5 days before he even tried to made a sperm web. He did make a web quite quick though compaired to my other experiences, faster then all the other MM avics I have had. After he did that, he then started to make some sperm webs inside of the normal hammock web he had made. He has made several sperm webs in my care so Im pretty sure hes still full, but he's also pretty stressed out from all the chaos he just went through in shipping so he's probably not ready to mix with her just yet. I would take him out of the females cage and let him chill for at least a week before I would try again. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
You only just got him delivered to you today. You should let him get over the stress of getting shipped before you try to pair them. I know how it is though being excited and everything to get things started, but its best to wait a bit. Are you sure it was a sperm web he was making? When I first got him he started to web quick, but it was just a hammock type web to make a home for him self to get settled in, not a sperm web. That took him like 5 days before he even tried to made a sperm web. He did make a web quite quick though compaired to my other experiences, faster then all the other MM avics I have had. After he did that, he then started to make some sperm webs inside of the normal hammock web he had made. He has made several sperm webs in my care so Im pretty sure hes still full, but he's also pretty stressed out from all the chaos he just went through in shipping so he's probably not ready to mix with her just yet. I would take him out of the females cage and let him chill for at least a week before I would try again. Just my opinion though.
This sounds much more reasonable to me - - - My A. metallica just molted MM last week . . . I'm currently trying to decide whether to try my hand at breeding now, or just sell him off. Either way, thanks for the logical info.