Is the enclosure too big?

Caragh

Arachnopeon
So ive had my t for about 2 months now, she's a chilean gold burst, about 2.5 inches so shes not fully grown. Im starting to worry that her enclosure is too big. Its an exo-terra 30x30x30inch tank. Is this too big? Im also worried that she cant find her food, because she hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. Any advise would be appreciated! thanks

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
IMO, yes, its way too large for a species that will reach 4" at adult size. That is, if, "chilean gold burst" is the common name for Euathlus parvulus.
A good "rule of thumb" for appropriate size enclosure is: length 4 times DLS, width 2-3 times DLS and height, substrate surface to lid, no more than 2 times DLS. Personally I would rehouse to a smaller enclosure, but keep the old one for a larger species home or a communal for M. balfouri.
As far as not eating, your T may be in premolt, or possibly a mature male looking for love, a photo would be helpful. Are the prey items disappearing, maybe hiding? Look to see if there are boluses, a sure sign its eating.

Caragh

Arachnopeon
IMO, yes, its way too large for a species that will reach 4" at adult size. That is, if, "chilean gold burst" is the common name for Euathlus parvulus.
A good "rule of thumb" for appropriate size enclosure is: length 4 times DLS, width 2-3 times DLS and height, substrate surface to lid, no more than 2 times DLS. Personally I would rehouse to a smaller enclosure, but keep the old one for a larger species home or a communal for M. balfouri.
As far as not eating, your T may be in premolt, or possibly a mature male looking for love, a photo would be helpful. Are the prey items disappearing, maybe hiding? Look to see if there are boluses, a sure sign its eating.
Ah thanks for the advice! i will definitely get a smaller enclosure. She/he (i dont actually know) ate the first few times i fed it, but these past two weeks i find the crickets i put in are still alive the next morning. It could possibly be in premoult, as it hasn't actually moulted since ive had it.

Caragh

Arachnopeon
OOOh my bad, the tank is 30x30x30CM not inches haha. is that an ok size?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Ah thanks for the advice! i will definitely get a smaller enclosure. She/he (i dont actually know) ate the first few times i fed it, but these past two weeks i find the crickets i put in are still alive the next morning. It could possibly be in premoult, as it hasn't actually moulted since ive had it.
Since the feeders are found alive I'd err to premolt. Still offer food, once each week, and remove after 24 hours.
Make sure it has a water dish and keep it full at all times. It will probably molt close to the water dish. These are from the most arid area of Chile, northern desert, and the substrate kept dry.

Caragh

Arachnopeon
Since the feeders are found alive I'd err to premolt. Still offer food, once each week, and remove after 24 hours.
Make sure it has a water dish and keep it full at all times. It will probably molt close to the water dish. These are from the most arid area of Chile, northern desert, and the substrate kept dry.
OK thank you

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
OOOh my bad, the tank is 30x30x30CM not inches haha. is that an ok size?
That makes a difference, converting to inches, roughly a 12" cube then. Surface area is ok, but needs a lot of substrate to minimize an injury from climbing and falling
Was its size also in centimeters? You posted in inches, if so, I'd still advise a smaller enclosure. 2.5cm is about 1" and that makes yours a sling. Smaller enclosures are better IMO/E. A 4" cube with 2.5" of substrate would be my suggestion for size. You can use a cap from a water bottle as a water dish. Give it a hide as it may dig a burrow beneath it.

Caragh

Arachnopeon
That makes a difference, converting to inches, roughly a 12" cube then. Surface area is ok, but needs a lot of substrate to minimize an injury from climbing and falling
Was its size also in centimeters? You posted in inches, if so, I'd still advise a smaller enclosure. 2.5cm is about 1" and that makes yours a sling. Smaller enclosures are better IMO/E. A 4" cube with 2.5" of substrate would be my suggestion for size. You can use a cap from a water bottle as a water dish. Give it a hide as it may dig a burrow beneath it.
Nah i got confused haha. spider is 2.5 inches, enclosure is 30x30x30 CM. i defo need to increase substrate; its about 2.5 inches now, i will increase this. the spider is definitely 2.5 inches; she is defo a sub adult and will reach 4 inches. she has a hide and a water dish.