Is tarantula dead

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
I got a tarantula in the mail yesterday. The return policy for this site is within 4 hours. I responded and they said to let them know if anything changes in the next 24 hours. The tarantula looks healthy but it's legs are all above it's head/abdomen and has not moved in 26 hours. I heard that when tarantulas are stressed (like when being shipped) they put their legs over there head. And there are no pictures of a dead tarantula with it's legs above it's head. So I have no idea of it is a live or not due to its inactivity for such a long time. It does not smell. I guess my question is.. how long do these things stay in it's stressed position? Because my window for the sites return policy isn't wide enough to wait a week.. the image below is the tarantula on its side because that's how it "landed" when I got it in there.

Attachments

Justin H

Arachnosquire
It may have died during shipping; that would explain the weird position it's in. Wait for more experienced people to chime in, though.

When it "landed" in there, do you mean you dumped it out of the container and it was in this position??

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Well, if it's alive, it should at least move a bit if you gently touch its leg with a paintbrush or something soft like a plastic straw, (the stimulus and response test). My guess is that it got too cold and froze. Was the box warm with a heat pack when you opened it?

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
How long was it in transit? Was it delivered directly or was it outside? Handwarmer in the container? Not exactly tarantula friendly weather and shouldn't of been exposed to bad weather very long. Packing or handling, weather are the only things I can think of, definately looks off.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Just saying but... that's a mature male. The emboli are clearly visible in your picture there.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I wouldn't be laying like that if it was alive. Its either dead or dying, I would contact the vendor.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Can you send the dealer/vendor the pic you posted?
Contact the seller ASAP.Dont wait.I am surprised they even shipped
knowing the weather situation.
I have had good dealers holding off on shipping for several weeks,due to weather issues.
This wasn't Backwater by any chance was it?

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
Well, if it's alive, it should at least move a bit if you gently touch its leg with a paintbrush or something soft like a plastic straw, (the stimulus and response test). My guess is that it got too cold and froze. Was the box warm with a heat pack when you opened it?
Yeah. It was weird. The temp was around 33 degrees out and there was a heat pack and the container felt warm. I tried that paint brush method and nothing. Just as a side note, I have received tarantulas when it was colder and the wet napkin was kinda cold and they are still alive now.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Okay, some questions -

1. Were you expecting a mature male?

2. Has he moved AT ALL? Even a twitch?

3. Check reviews on this site for the seller you purchased from.

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
Okay, some questions -

1. Were you expecting a mature male?

2. Has he moved AT ALL? Even a twitch?

3. Check reviews on this site for the seller you purchased from.

1. No it was just a 3+ inch tarantula unsexed.
2. The only thing I would consider a move would be when I lefted the leg and it slowly went back down to where it was. But that could have been gravity.
3. I contacted the seller after I got a few responses that somewhat confirmed my fears and he is going to send another after this cold front we are having. Thanks btw every one who replied. You were all helpful and I appreciate it.

2.1 I even got it out and set it on the table (seller wanted pictures) and I got close enough that if it did move I would have had a panic attack and it didn't do anything.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. No it was just a 3+ inch tarantula unsexed.
2. The only thing I would consider a move would be when I lefted the leg and it slowly went back down to where it was. But that could have been gravity.
3. I contacted the seller after I got a few responses that somewhat confirmed my fears and he is going to send another after this cold front we are having. Thanks btw every one who replied. You were all helpful and I appreciate it.

2.1 I even got it out and set it on the table (seller wanted pictures) and I got close enough that if it did move I would have had a panic attack and it didn't do anything.
1. What species is it? Because that spider is NOT "unsexed"... it is a mature male. And those are usually pretty darn cheap. A lot of bad sellers sell larger spiders as "unsexed" when they know they are male because they can charge more.

2. That does sound like just gravity and for you to move it around and it not respond, it is surely dead.

3. I would request a refund and purchase from a reputable seller who won't send you a mature male as an "unsexed" specimen.

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
1. What species is it? Because that spider is NOT "unsexed"... it is a mature male. And those are usually pretty darn cheap. A lot of bad sellers sell larger spiders as "unsexed" when they know they are male because they can charge more.

2. That does sound like just gravity and for you to move it around and it not respond, it is surely dead.

3. I would request a refund and purchase from a reputable seller who won't send you a mature male as an "unsexed" specimen.
1. It's a Heteroscodra maculata (Togo starburst babboon) and it wasn't too expensive in comparison to smaller tarantulas. Only hurts with shipping costing so much.

3. Usually I do. I was shopping around for a somewhat not too small arborial oldworld and unfortunately this specific site was the one that offered a tarantula Bigger than 1 inch. Lesson learned I guess.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
1. It's a Heteroscodra maculata (Togo starburst babboon) and it wasn't too expensive in comparison to smaller tarantulas. Only hurts with shipping costing so much.

3. Usually I do. I was shopping around for a somewhat not too small arborial oldworld and unfortunately this specific site was the one that offered a tarantula Bigger than 1 inch. Lesson learned I guess.
If they are selling you a MM as unsexed, you're getting scammed...just the hard truth. I would suggest looking to buy elsewhere in the future, and look for better suited beginner species.

H.macs are not a tarantula you want to get started with.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

1. I thought it might be, but I wanted to be sure. H. macs are VERY obvious as mature males... there is NO WAY the seller didn't know what it was. They aren't worth more than 30$. It wasn't too expensive because they knew they were ripping someone off.

2. Search the Classifieds on here if you are looking for a new T, and always read reviews on here for any seller!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've seen females at expos for 20 bucks... i wouldn't pay even 30 for a MM H. mac.
Maybe that's why no one has shown interest in my boy :rofl:

I am honestly baffled about the OP not being more upset about this... being sent a MM when you purchased an unsexed T is the ultimate scam.

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
Maybe that's why no one has shown interest in my boy :rofl:

I am honestly baffled about the OP not being more upset about this... being sent a MM when you purchased an unsexed T is the ultimate scam.
I mean it's a lesson learned. I wasn't aware that they go for pennies on a dollar. But getting upset isn't going to fix the issue. It's the cost of learning. Also, I wasn't looking for a female in particular. Just the experience/practice with them.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I mean it's a lesson learned. I wasn't aware that they go for pennies on a dollar. But getting upset isn't going to fix the issue. It's the cost of learning. Also, I wasn't looking for a female in particular. Just the experience/practice with them.
It isn't even just the financial aspect. Maybe you aren't aware of the short lifespan of mature males, that they usually don't eat and just waste away wandering their enclosure in search of a mate? It is borderline cruel to send a mature male to an unsuspecting person who is going to wonder why their spider won't eat or settle down. You also have no idea when that male matured... he could have naturally expired within a week if he matured months ago.

Regardless, you are entitled a full refund because your spider arrived dead. Like I said, I would not support whoever you purchased from by accepting a replacement... who knows what they'll send you this time.

Best of luck on your search for a new spider.

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
It isn't even just the financial aspect. Maybe you aren't aware of the short lifespan of mature males, that they usually don't eat and just waste away wandering their enclosure in search of a mate? It is borderline cruel to send a mature male to an unsuspecting person who is going to wonder why their spider won't eat or settle down. You also have no idea when that male matured... he could have naturally expired within a week if he matured months ago.

Regardless, you are entitled a full refund because your spider arrived dead. Like I said, I would not support whoever you purchased from by accepting a replacement... who knows what they'll send you this time.

Best of luck on your search for a new spider.
Thanks. And I definitely won't go back to that site. The other two I've been going to have been great. You do have valid points about the mature male aspect. Thanks for the info. If you have time in the future I would like to bounce some questions/opinions off you if you don't mind. You can so no too btw haha