Is something wrong?

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a black emperor scorpion, and left it fow a few hours in the original case so i could set up its tank... I tried to feed it a cricket, but it wouldn't eat it.. I finally just took the crikit and put it directly in his or her mouth. It ate it. Why wouldn't she hunt it? It was running around in front of it for like an half hour... I cant tell if its a guy or girl, but is something wrong. It didn't even make a attempt to grabe the crik. :confused:

He is barely moving... I also want to get a red claw. Can i keep them together? How can i see if this is a girl?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First off: Do not keep different species together.

Secondly, maybe your scorp wasnt hungry, it is new, getting used to its new house. Adults can go months without food. Force feeding is something ive never heard of but doesnt sound like a good idea to me. Relax and let the scorp acclimate himself to his new surroundings before panicing and shoving crickets down its throat when it doesnt immediately feed. :wall:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most scorps take a while to get settled in, and like Tabor said, they're known for fasting for long periods.

If you want to know if it's male or female, look here.

Edit: when a scorp has their claws pulled into their face like that, they're being defensive. (S)he feels threatened, so leaving it alone and giving it something to hide in will probably help. Mine stayed in a position like that (while piled on top of each other) until they relaxed enough to start burrowing.

Last edited:

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found out its a he.. His thing is a oval. I was hoping for a female :confused:, but w/e. He spends all his time trying to get out of the tank... just wandering around trying to find a exit.... Wont even go into the hide . What is wrong?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found out its a he.. His thing is a oval. I was hoping for a female :confused:, but w/e. He spends all his time trying to get out of the tank... just wandering around trying to find a exit.... Wont even go into the hide . What is wrong?
Jesus man, just chill out. Nothings wrong, hes a scorpion in a new house. Give him a while to just get used to things. There is no set behavior a scorpion has to adhere to in order to be healthy. Just because hes not using your premade hide or eating on the first try doesnt mean something is wrong. I recommend you leave him alone for a few days before you kill him by overcaring for him.

Also, just because he's a male isnt a bad thing. Just hunt him down a female now that you know how to sex them, it should be easy!

How big is your housing for it??
Judging by his pictures... definitely on the small side. Looks like a smallish rubbermade. Nothing wrong with small housing, especially if its a single specimen.

My final advice is just leave him alone for a few a days. There is nothing wrong with your scorpion, youre just overreacting and projecting your expectations on to him, just let him be and do what he wants. :)

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol I know i am overcaring for him.. He just spends all his time knocking against the walls trying to get out.. When i chose him he was the biggest one and seemed the most aggressive because he would walk around more and chase .

So should i let him keep knocking against the walls and just leave him alone for a while?

I got my first sting by him. hehe, but i read after i got him that it means the scorpion is unhealthy if he roams around with his claws above his head? Well i dont know... I am going to get this one a good tank and find him a female soon.

Any tips? and i know i am overanalyzing, but it is pretty fun to learn about them!

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol I know i am overcaring for him.. He just spends all his time knocking against the walls trying to get out.. When i chose him he was the biggest one and seemed the most aggressive because he would walk around more and chase .

So should i let him keep knocking against the walls and just leave him alone for a while?

I got my first sting by him. hehe, but i read after i got him that it means the scorpion is unhealthy if he roams around with his claws above his head? Well i dont know... I am going to get this one a good tank and find him a female soon.

Any tips? and i know i am overanalyzing, but it is pretty fun to learn about them!
Just leave him alone for a few days, let him get used to his surroundings. Tanks aren't that expensive, a friend bought a decent sized tank for £16, about $25-$30 ?!?

Just be sure to keep the temperature and humidity right and he will come around and will start eating.

What are you using for a hide?!? Both of my Scorpions went straight for their hides when I put them into their new enclosures.

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It probably didn' t eat because it' s still getting used to it' s new surroundings.

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just leave him alone for a few days, let him get used to his surroundings. Tanks aren't that expensive, a friend bought a decent sized tank for £16, about $25-$30 ?!?

Just be sure to keep the temperature and humidity right and he will come around and will start eating.

What are you using for a hide?!? Both of my Scorpions went straight for their hides when I put them into their new enclosures.
as jaffster said when i got mine he was wondering about for hours trying to get out climing up the glass and everything just leave him for a few days while he sorts him self out then he will bne fine oh and leave it a few days before trying to feed him again thats wht i did now mine is fine

Last edited:

hadrurus 666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it an adult? Cos if so, the reason hes not eating and staying in his hide is because hes on the lookout for a female, males find the females in the wild so a female is not just going to come to him, he has to go find her.