Is smoke bad for my T?

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes it is. Many animals also naturally "panic" at the smell of smoke and it might leave it restless.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yes it is. Many animals also naturally "panic" at the smell of smoke and it might leave it restless.
They tend to freak out at strong smells, when I first got into the hobby my friend said not to use air fresheners, strong deodorant sprays etc, so yes smoke would be bad for any spider.

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
Ok thnx for the replies
We ran out of gas for our gas stove while cooking( we don't have electricical stoves in my grandparents' house and I live here cause it's closer to school but we do have electricical ones back home) and we're using the fireplace as a makeshift cooking area

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ok thnx for the replies
We ran out of gas for our gas stove while cooking( we don't have electricical stoves in my grandparents' house and I live here cause it's closer to school but we do have electricical ones back home) and we're using the fireplace as a makeshift cooking area
Keep it as far as humanly possible away from smoke.

MRTLuvva

Arachnopeon
does this count for marijuana smoke??
before anyone comments im not a cruel bastered that gets animals stoned.. i mean if im smoking in the same room as there in?
glad i read this.. if this is true ill make sure there as far away as possible. :bucktooth:

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
before anyone comments im not a cruel bastered that gets animals stoned.. i mean if im smoking in the same room as there in?
glad i read this.. if this is true ill make sure there as far away as possible. :bucktooth:
I would assume any kind of second hand smoke would be bad for any animal. Probably won't kill them, but could effect their health. I'd keep it away from your T's and any other pets you have.

cold blood

Staff member
No....not even if you smoke in the same room.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
No....not even if you smoke in the same room.
But what if the Ts get green fever? ;) Are you saying that the smoke wouldn't do anything harmful? I always make any of my friends that smoke wash their hands before they come into my T room, the smell of weed/cigarettes can be pretty strong and I'm not sure the spiders would appreciate it, I bet the smoke itself would be even more overwhelming. Might just be paranoid but yeah... I wouldn't ever let them hotbox the T room lol, just seems like an overall bad idea. @MRTLuvva why not just step outside if you need to smoke?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
the smell?

show me where its nose is please.:shifty:

Nicotene is bad, cig smoke should be avoided....mj smoke is literally the most benign smoke that i can think of. 10k years of documented use and we are still awaiting the first death related to its smoke.
Yes, I know the spiders don't have a nose like we do, but they can detect chemical cues from their environment via specialized hairs. At the end of the day smoke is smoke, which is the result of something burning, I doubt any spider would appreciate being around it. If they can sense it I'd imagine it might stress them out...

cold blood

Staff member
the nose thing was a joke, nothing more.

smoke is not smoke....its certainly not all the same....for instance, cig smoke has an inflammitory effect on things, like the lungs, which is why it causes cancer like it does...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
we're using the fireplace as a makeshift cooking area
This doesn't sound like an open fire pit in the home. It sounds like a fire in a contained fireplace. And I am guessing it has some sort of draw towards the outside -- like a chimney or smokestack or something? Yes?
If only a slight bit of smoke and hint of smoke scent is detectable and most is escaping outside, I wouldn't be very concerned.