Is she molting?

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
I am new to Tarantula keeping and would like your help. My female L.Klugi started losing hair on it's abdomen about 2 and a half weeks ago. Her abdomen is half pink, is this because she is about to molt or is it stress? I am concerned because it has been almost 3 weeks.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am new to Tarantula keeping and would like your help. My female L.Klugi started losing hair on it's abdomen about 2 and a half weeks ago. Her abdomen is half pink, is this because she is about to molt or is it stress? I am concerned because it has been almost 3 weeks.
That is from kicking hairs. It is not a sign of an upcoming molt. When the pink of the abdomen starts turning black and it starts refusing food, then that is a sign of an approaching molt.

Gerbil1987

Arachnopeon
Thanx

Thanks for the advice, I was told at the pet shop that she was going to molt and that is why she lost her hair. Now I know better than to trust what the idiot at the pet shop says.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
unless the carapace at the bold patch is turning dark she isnt molting, DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT TRUST PET STORE EMPLOYEES most of the time they do not know what they are talking about and can actually give you advice that is harmful to your T, just to make a sale.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
unless the carapace at the bold patch is turning dark she isnt molting, DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT TRUST PET STORE EMPLOYEES most of the time they do not know what they are talking about and can actually give you advice that is harmful to your T, just to make a sale.
The carapace at the bold patch? Even if you spelled "bald" correctly, the word carapace is a synonym for the prosoma, which is a synonym for the cephalothorax. Throwing out advice like you know what you're talking about when you obviously don't does no one any good at all.

webbedone

Arachnobaron

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Isntead of belittling some one over a spelling mistake and a choice of words in a quick reference to a body part, go post something usefull. BTW

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exoskeleton
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/carapace

Common words are used to discribe both of those and thus can be used in cross refence to one another. Seeing how Exoskeleton is technically a shell and shell is a carapace... Well you are a smart guy you figure it out
Carapace and abdomen is completely different. Let's not confuse the OP with this...;)

Last edited:

webbedone

Arachnobaron
really we gonna collectively pick on the choice of wording that is synonymous to a certain body part mean while the refrence is to the discription of the material out of which the entire body consists of?

Good game kind sirs i am leaving this thread

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
really we gonna collectively pick on the choice of wording that is synonymous to a certain body part mean while the refrence is to the discription of the material out of which the entire body consists of?

Good game kind sirs i am leaving this thread
Hey no offense. Just pointing something out, and to not confuse the OP... you also didn't include the definition for abdomen:
the posterior section of the body of an arthropod, behind the thorax or the cephalothorax.

Arachnid:
any wingless, carnivorous arthropod of the class Arachnida, including spiders, scorpions, mites, ticks, and daddy-longlegs, having a body divided into two parts, the cephalothorax and the abdomen, and having eight appendages and no antennae

And since the cephalothorax is the carapace and not the abdomen... then carapace =/= abdomen
If they were synonymous it wouldn't list both. All these definitions come from the same site you used.

Abdomen and carapace are not synonymous sir.

They are not the same, sorry to point it out.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what is abdomen made of? is it a part of exoskeleton...
Yes it is part of the exoskeleton, but it's not the carapace. The OP will be looking at the bald spot on the abdomen. Can you clarify your point, as I may not even be addressing it because I'm a bit confused by your statements. In your post you said the abdomen and the carapace are synonymous correct?