Is she dead?

aracobsessed

Arachnopeon
Hi guys!

Something happened with my tarantula and I'm so scared. I love her so much I don't wanna lose her. PLEASE GOD DON'T BE DEAD.

My husband was playing soccer with my dog inside the house when he accidentaly kicked too hard. The ball reached my a. geniculata terrarium and she felt at considerable high. When I picked her up (almost in tears), she was burried, and in a weird position (like premolt, but I'm not sure at this point).

Here is the thing:
1. I know she was on premolt, but I did not look today
2. I'm not sure if she already started molting by the time of the accident
3. I haven't seeing any movement, this is really freaking me out
4. There's a white transparent spot on her abdomen that I've never seen before
5. I think I'm gonna cry

This could be all so normal, but I just ADORE her. This is not her first ecdysis with me, but I'm scared

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
When you cleaned up the mess and put her back in, was she right side up, then flipped to this position? Literally looks like it’s getting ready to molt to me.

aracobsessed

Arachnopeon
Literally looks like it’s getting ready to molt to me.
this is great!
I know that stopping movement is normal but how long do you think a molting tarantula could stay upside down without any movement at all?

fried rice

Arachnoknight
this is great!
I know that stopping movement is normal but how long do you think a molting tarantula could stay upside down without any movement at all?
If she stays like that for 24 hours without molting I would be concerned. I hope she will be ok!

aracobsessed

Arachnopeon
When you cleaned up the mess and put her back in, was she right side up, then flipped to this position? Literally looks like it’s getting ready to molt to me.
everything was so messy as you said, that I wasn't sure... but I think she was flipped already

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anything is possible- you’ll have to wait and see

Might be fine, might die- no one call tell you with any accuracy regardless of the pics.

It looks OK but that doesn’t mean anything objectively

aracobsessed

Arachnopeon
Anything is possible- you’ll have to wait and see

Might be fine, might die- no one call tell you with any accuracy regardless of the pics.

It looks OK but that doesn’t mean anything objectively
you're right, there's no point for me to jump into conclusions but you know how anxiety can be a bitch... thank's everyone, you made me calmer

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It looks as if it's moulting. Don't mess it with at all from now on until it's finished.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My concern would be that if it was actively molting when it fell or it was immediately prior to it getting ready to molt, there could have been damage to the new exoskeleton even if the new exoskeleton seems okay. As others said, do not touch it, do not disturb it, just leave it.

I do hope it goes well for you and it very well could go perfectly, but I think it would be unwise to get your hopes up. This is a situation where it could honestly go either way, so I just don't want to see you get hopeful only for you to get let down.

I'm sure this is already an obvious point, but just make sure any tarantula enclosures are kept secure and out of range for any scenarios such as this.

Best of luck

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Sorry, but I'd vote dead. I rather doubt there would be no movement at all. Did you place it upside down like it is in the pics? When you did so, no movement?

The fluid leaking is a major concern too.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Sorry, but I'd vote dead. I rather doubt there would be no movement at all. Did you place it upside down like it is in the pics? When you did so, no movement?

The fluid leaking is a major concern too.
I agree with this, ive seen a few dead T's in my time as a hobbyist and all of them will look exactly like these photos after death if flipped upside down. If the T was indeed about to begin molting, a heavy kick from a soccerball and a fall combined with being buried to me would likely cause internal damage to the new exoskeleton.

I want to remain positive, but i honestly cant. I just hope i am indeed wrong and the T somehow pulls through

aracobsessed

Arachnopeon
:
My mistake. I thought I read white transparent "fluid" instead of "spot".
well I actually saw a fluid, I forgot to mention this... so I guess it changes everything. I dont know why it isn't in the pictures but I saw the fluid right after picking her up

Tell your husband to Play outside.
there's no outside in our apartment, but he definitely shouldn't be playing like that (I was washing the dishes, I didn't even notice). the ball is small so this is even worse when it comes to control where you kick

UPDATES
I just left her alone yesterday (trying not to check every 5 minuts) but today I really think she is dead.
she hasn't moved at all, no progress on her molting. she is small so it wouldn't take too long for her to molt

aracobsessed

Arachnopeon
this makes me really sad and I already cried my eyes out but there's nothing I can do anymore besides taking care of my other ones. I will change where they terrariums are (I put them there because it was the best place to take care of them, and I didn't think my husband would kick a ball knowing they where there, but I guess he forgot). I'll have to think of some place else.

anyway, I'm almost 100% sure she is no longer alive and yet I won't call her dead right now, I'm too afraid. she was my first tarantula and I was really attached to her.

I'll wait some hours and I'm going to make a video for you guys, so you can help me be 200% sure she is dead before I do something (like putting her in alcohol to preserve)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I’m really sorry to hear that. I was really hoping and praying she was alive...I know it’s really hard to lose something like that, I’ve lost plenty of things to accidents but you gotta just keep going and care for everything else. :(