Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Is pinktoe floating on the water indeed?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by jwanthony, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Advertisement
    Is pinktoe floating on the water indeed?

I've heard that pinkoes in captivity usually drown underwater rather than float on the water surface.

but, I know, pinktoe is floating on the water.

What is the truth?

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwaPwcTJMU

and.. What is this? Floating..? or Drowning?

2. clam1991

clam1991 Arachnoangel Old Timer

woah
    that was weird but i dont know....

3. unitard311

unitard311 Arachnoknight

wow, that is interesting. swimming? IDK

4. gvfarns

gvfarns Arachnoprince Old Timer

I suspect they swim normally.

Who would know that pinktoes drown in captivity? What were the circumstances? It's kind of hard for me to imagine how that would occur, at least in anything similar to a normal setup. Maybe the captive deaths were of something else and it fell in the water, or fell in the water while sick and couldn't get out.

5. Mina

Mina Arachnoking Old Timer

Actually I saw that on a nature special, it is swimming. They live on trees around the water and occasionally they will fall off the tree, either because they jumped at some prey and missed or they just didn't have hold of the tree well enough.
    On the show they showed the T swim to the shore, climb out of the water, and back up the tree.

6. Tokendog

Tokendog Arachnosquire

I remember reading that spiders are able to stand on the surface of the water due to the distribution of weight across their legs as they spread them out. A larger spider of course would not do it as easily as a smaller spider, but I would assume in one way or another, almost all spiders are able to "float".

7. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies Old Timer

CET
    That's floating (in the video).

The reason why they might be drowning in captivity could be that there are traces of cleaning agents in the water dish or surface the water is attached to. In that case the surface tension of the water gets broken, the water can enter the book lungs and the T drowns.

8. Why dont you just use Warter Bites/ Bug Gel :)

9. Moltar

Moltar ArachnoGod

Because that stuff doesn't work for t's. They'll suck on it all day long and get little to no moisture from it.

Plus I think the OP just wanted to talk about the video linked which is in fact pretty cool. I've never seen that before but it makes sense that they'd have that ability living around water and all...

10. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

a) Ts can't drink from that crap.

b) What does that have to do with the youtube video and whether or not Avicularia can swim?

11. jb7741

jb7741 Arachnoknight

12. dtknow

dtknow Arachnoking Old Timer

CA
    With my previous avicularia(who died of unrelated causes) I found out they indeed can swim/float in captivity!(or at least if they jump into your sink).

I'll go ahead and admit I did a very cruel experiment when I was young(still am) and stupid(er) involving water striders and a bit of soap...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.