Is my tarantula sick?

sharky2

Arachnopeon
I bought my chilean rose a few weeks ago from someone who owned it for 2 months. He had been keeping it in a 20 gallon tank full of sand so I moved it into a ten gallon with some asian moss and some hiding places. She hasn't eaten yet but I assume that's because of the stress from the move. What I'm not sure about is the bright yellow and grey patches of fuzz that appear to be growing on the side of her house. Does anyone know what that is? I can't find anything about it on the internet and I'm worried about a possible illness.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How long have you had it on the moss? And do you keep it wet? That sounds like mold to me. Get the moss out and put in coconut fiber. Clean everything, put in the new substrate, make sure it's DRY, and then put your spider back in. Roseas like it dry and the moss you put in can hold moisture and mold if there isn't adequate ventilation.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I don't think its an illness it just sounds like mold. Keep it away from mold they can be succeptable to that. And do what chris skeleton said/

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mold! Nooooo. Mold bad.

Like the posts above said, clean that cage thoroughly and put in some peat moss or coconut fiber. Or heck, even mix the two.

:)

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah... fuzz? Sounds like mold! Make sure to very, very, very THOROUGHLY clean everything out, then replace with, like everyone else said, coconut fiber, peat moss, or mix the two. From what I've read on here, moss is difficult to maintain in their enclosures without mold growing. It seems to be a pretty risky substrate.