Is my tarantula sick?

Dr.Schaeffer

Arachnopeon
My son has a rose hair tarantula. We have had it for about 1 1/2 yrs. It has never molted. In the last few weeks it has stopped eating and hardly moves. It looks like it's just lying down with its legs spread out. Even when touched it only moves slightly. We recently changed it's dirt and after doing some research tonight, took the wet sponge out and gave it a water bowl. My son is heartbroken because he's afraid it is dying. What's going on?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
either its a mature male and is heading towards the light or its in a premolt??? without pics its hard to say, since descriptions can be a little emotional and maybe over stated...nothing wrong with it but to really be sure it would help alot with a pic...

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, that seems like a long time without a molt. Post a pic if you can. Legs spread out doesn't sound so bad, sounds like premolt. I have three girls acting the same way. I'm looking forward to seeing thier new colors :)

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, that seems like a long time without a molt. Post a pic if you can. Legs spread out doesn't sound so bad, sounds like premolt. I have three girls acting the same way. I'm looking forward to seeing thier new colors :)
18 months between moults isn't so huge if the Rosie is a wild caught sub-adult or adult female like it probably is. To be sure, we'll need a pic.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would def. say premolt. When I experienced my first T in premolt, I was really worried too, but of course it all came out fine. All I would do is make sure she has a full water dish with no sponge in it (sponges are bad! but pet stores don't tell you that). And, is she eating? If she's not eating, don't worry, just a sign of premolt, same with being inactive and sluggish. Anyways, if you offer her crickets, and they aren't gone the next day, take them out and try again in a week. If still not eating, just let her be and she'll eat again when she's ready.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: Oh yeah, and if she is in premolt and you see her upside down, don't worry! That's the position they like to be in for molting. The only reason to be alarmed would be if her legs were curled, but if they are straight up or out, you're good. :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My Ts like to lie down all spread out like a pancake all the time. Especially my rosie, who does it on top of its log and looks like a little kitty. {D