Is my tarantula near death?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
He laid the mat about two weeks ago so I wasn't sure. The heating mat is because my place can get to the 40s and it's just in case. I've never used it anyways.
That's actually very interesting, I haven't seen a tarantula lay a molting mat that far in advance. Even a few days in advanced is rare in my experience. No matter, honestly, just be prepared for it. It may get cold, but a heat mat is never the answer. It is a tarantula's instinct to burrow down when they're hot... hopefully you see the issue with that. Lose the heat mat.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
To be clear, you do want to replace that mesh lid and raise the substrate, but it's not terrible for the time being. I'd wait until after the molt and then fix these issues.

Alecs

Arachnopeon
That's actually very interesting, I haven't seen a tarantula lay a molting mat that far in advance. Even a few days in advance is rare in my experience. No matter, honestly, just be prepared for it. It may get cold, but a heat mat is never the answer. It is a tarantula's instinct to burrow down when they're hot... hopefully you see the issue with that. Lose the heat mat.
That's why I assumed he maybe just did it for no reason? I have been expecting a molt, but he has never gotten on his back. But I'll take care as if he's in pre-molt. The heating mat is only like, 4x4 inches and so I just thought that when I turned off my heating that it'd be good for five minutes to warm something up. But I'll remove it.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
He has crawled a couple of times when I first got him but he hasn't done it in almost three months. He doesn't attempt to crawl up anything at all anymore, so I wasn't worried about it.
Replace it still.

cold blood

Staff member
The heating mat is because my place can get to the 40s and it's just in case. I've never used it anyways.
It says you are in Georgia? How far underground is the cave you reside in?? Is this massive heat wave somehow completely missing Georgia?? Or do you just have a nuclear powered air conditioner that doesn't have an off switch?

The heating mat is only like, 4x4 inches and so I just thought that when I turned off my heating that it'd be good for five minutes to warm something up. But I'll remove it.
Heat mats are a dangerous, bad way to add heat...that said, you have one of, if not the most resilient species around...they can handle night temps into the 50's and deal with colder than that in their native range.

If for some reason you feel the need to add heat, heat the room with a space heater.

Glad you don't actually use it.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
It says you are in Georgia? How far underground is the cave you reside in?? Is this massive heat wave somehow completely missing Georgia?? Or do you just have a nuclear powered air conditioner that doesn't have an off switch?

Heat mats are a dangerous, bad way to add heat...that said, you have one of, if not the most resilient species around...they can handle night temps into the 50's and deal with colder than that in their native range.

If for some reason you feel the need to add heat, heat the room with a space heater.

Glad you don't actually use it.
If he is from America Georgia, he is insane, even in my basement it doesnt get below 80, even at night. This heat wave is insane, I see dead lizards and small mammals that didnt get out of the sun in time.

TheArtSpider

Arachnopeon
There's no such thing as a partial death curl - either all legs are curled or none of them are. More likely than not, it sounds like it was simply grooming and stopped in a strange position. I see it all the time with my NW terrestrials.
I have just looked up this thread because I've just brought a P.Regalis and one side of its legs are curled the others are moving but it is weak (its now in ICU) its only a juvi. I never thought you could get a partial death curl bit this has proved mr wrong..
This message is not a dig btw, its just an FYI message :) but yeah I'm stumped and hope it pulls through

cold blood

Staff member
I have just looked up this thread because I've just brought a P.Regalis and one side of its legs are curled the others are moving but it is weak (its now in ICU) its only a juvi. I never thought you could get a partial death curl bit this has proved mr wrong..
This message is not a dig btw, its just an FYI message :) but yeah I'm stumped and hope it pulls through
What you describe is typical grooming..id get it out of the icu asap.

If you are concerned and want quality help, pics are a must.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight