Is my tarantula dead?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
just put him back in his original cage and leave him be. my B albos are so tolerant of me they also dont move when i touch them for rehousing. your T will be fine as long as it is left alone to molt, a water dish would also help. :)

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yes I understand okay. A lot of us here get anxious about our kids of all species.
You're going to have to have trust in Nature and the old timers.
Make sure his water dish is full at all times. My B. albopilosum loves to "swim" in hers.

Squidsalad

Arachnopeon
Your tarantula is not dead. The rule is that unless the invertebate is smelling,and rotting, it's not dead. Invertebrates are weird. When tarantulas are molting they get lethargic, and not all that responsive. Typically I just see them rolled over on their back. Normal stuff .

If I feel like my tarantula is about to molt, I ignore them for a few days to a week until they have molted, then wait for them to harden. They're a low stress animal.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey guys.. So I've had this little guys since January.. He was also born in January. He is a curly hair tarantula. This afternoon I went to check up on him as he is due for a molt soon and he literally looks frozen.. I tried moving him and I get no reactions.. He's not lying on his back.. He's upright and his legs are also slightly up. He was spinning his web to molt and there was still a bit of web coming out his bum.. He also isn't in a death curl.. I took him out his cage and put him in a container that's very humid and warm.. So i dont know if he is dead? Or what is wrong with him? He hasn't moved at all
Side note: Given the size that the spider appears to be in that picture you posted I would venture a guess that it was not born in January. It is likely much older than that.

Unless I am mis-seeing the image.

EmJayy

Arachnopeon
Yes I understand okay. A lot of us here get anxious about our kids of all species.
You're going to have to have trust in Nature and the old timers.
Make sure his water dish is full at all times. My B. albopilosum loves to "swim" in hers.
He's back in his cage with water. It's the next morning and he still hasn't moved.. I forgot to add last night when I moved him from the other container back into his cage his legs were like stiff but his body just flopped around.. If that makes sense?

EmJayy

Arachnopeon
Side note: Given the size that the spider appears to be in that picture you posted I would venture a guess that it was not born in January. It is likely much older than that.

Unless I am mis-seeing the image.
I think you're mis-seeing him because he's very small.. He's about 5cm

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Looks like an upside down molt. Very wierd. Don't touch it again unless someone more experienced than me says otherwise.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Girl he's in premolt!! Look how dark his abdomen is! The poor thing's probably frazzled because you've messed with him!
Also, after his molt like say 2 weeks put in ecoearth coco fiber. He needs at least 4 more inches. At that age they like to rearrange the "furniture." Where's his water dish? Show it to us.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Also get rid of that cardboard "hide" and give it some cork bark or any other safe wooden hide. The cardboard will get nasty

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
You haven't given him enough substrate to bury himself in his hide. That's why he's going all zombie right now.
Give him a water dish approximately his size. Take all forms of heat away including the light and leave him alone!!
Let your spider do what he wants.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I agree with Crone... spiders have been spidering for a very very long time.

EmJayy

Arachnopeon
But
You haven't given him enough substrate to bury himself in his hide. That's why he's going all zombie right now.
Give him a water dish approximately his size. Take all forms of heat away including the light and leave him alone!!
but he's frozen.. I don't have a light on him that was just so you guys could see him

EmJayy

Arachnopeon
Girl he's in premolt!! Look how dark his abdomen is! The poor thing's probably frazzled because you've messed with him!
Also, after his molt like say 2 weeks put in ecoearth coco fiber. He needs at least 4 more inches. At that age they like to rearrange the "furniture." Where's his water dish? Show it to us.
I know he's in premolt.. He hasn't wanted to eat for 2 months and now he's extremely dark but he was walking around day before yesterday and then yesterday he started spinning webs then just froze and he's stayed in that position even when I move him.

EmJayy

Arachnopeon
After school today I'm going to get more substrate for him and my other T.. And he already has a water bowl the same size as him.. It's in the opposite corner to him and he knows where it is cause he was sitting by it 2 days ago

EmJayy

Arachnopeon
I got more substrate for him and my other T.. I put it in their cages now.. The lady at the pet store said he probably is dead my heart is broken but I will wait a couple days and hopefully you guys are right..