Is my T in danger???

Manon

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm totally new to this group but have been a long time follower for advice and now unfortunately it's time that I need your help!!

I have noticed my T has these minuscule worm like things crawling all over her and the enclosure. There are soo many!!!

Can someone tell me what they are? if she is in danger? And how to get rid of them?

She is still eating (store bought crickets) and doesn't curl her legs up.

The photo shows the tiny worms in the water droplets in the enclosure and on enclosure wall itself so you will need to zoom in. I tried uploading a video of them crawling on her but it won't let me! If anyone would like a video sent to them for further inspection I'd happily send it to you!

Thanks all!!

Attachments

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
doesnt seem good. rehouse ASAP. Make sure that you have new substrate and thouroughly cleaned tank. make sure that there are none on the spider when you rehouse.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Might be some sort of fly larva, I'm not familiar with how problematic that could be, hopefully someone else will give you the answer your looking for.

To be safe, I would try and get her some fresh substrate and change out the old, give the enclosure a good cleaning and it may decrease the number of worms crawling around.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
what T is it tho? If that bubbles are condensation they might be reproducing because of the amount of moisture youre providing

Manon

Arachnopeon
Might be some sort of fly larva, I'm not familiar with how problematic that could be, hopefully someone else will give you the answer your looking for.

To be safe, I would try and get her some fresh substrate and change out the old, give the enclosure a good cleaning and it may decrease the number of worms crawling around.
Thank you! it's funny you mention that. I have had to open the enclosure to let what looks like a few baby fruit fly's out. No idea how they got in there as the lid is always on securely? But I've looked up fly larvae stages and I can't find anything that looks like these worms. They're so active!! I always freeze the substrate before putting it in the enclosure to make sure it kills anything living in it so unless they're coming from the crickets I feed her?
*sigh* so stressed out!! :(

Manon

Arachnopeon
what T is it tho? If that bubbles are condensation they might be reproducing because of the amount of moisture youre providing
Yeah those bubbles are condensation. Looks like a lot but it's just a cluster of tiny water drops. Ever since I've moved house I can't seem to control the amount of condensation, I tend to find myself wiping it down when I see it. These worm things I kid you not are the size of a pin head in width.

Manon

Arachnopeon
doesnt seem good. rehouse ASAP. Make sure that you have new substrate and thouroughly cleaned tank. make sure that there are none on the spider when you rehouse.
Should I put her in an ICU box until the new substrate is ready?
How do I get rid of these worms on her body??
I wish I could pick my T up but no can do! She's feisty and fast!

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
What species do you have? That substrate is probably too wet for your tarantula (depending on the species). Those worms don't sound good, if they are nematodes then your tarantula is in danger if it's something like fruit fly maggots then a simple rehouse should fix that. If you can show us a picture of both the T and its enclosure that will help us answer you more.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thank you! it's funny you mention that. I have had to open the enclosure to let what looks like a few baby fruit fly's out. No idea how they got in there as the lid is always on securely? But I've looked up fly larvae stages and I can't find anything that looks like these worms. They're so active!! I always freeze the substrate before putting it in the enclosure to make sure it kills anything living in it so unless they're coming from the crickets I feed her?
*sigh* so stressed out!! :(
Could be from the crickets, but if its phorid flies they may of just laid their eggs in your enclosure, and could of come in on their own.

They need a moist environement to survive and breed. Keep in mind freezing the substrate isn't all that effective and won't kill everything. I would start fresh and quarantine your T, after a few days re introduce it to a nice clean enclosure.

Good luck!

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
BIG EDIT...

OK so I just read your post on the flies. Then I wouldn't worry about it just rehouse her, It sounds like you need more ventilation though.

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Should I put her in an ICU box until the new substrate is ready?
How do I get rid of these worms on her body??
I wish I could pick my T up but no can do! She's feisty and fast!
No ICU. just put her in a container and move her in an enclosure with new substrate. Dont wet the substrate for at least a week. Keep it DRY. larvae need moisture and all that are on her will die of dehydration. after you no longer see the worms proceed as usual. which species is the spider?

Manon

Arachnopeon
What species do you have? That substrate is probably too wet for your tarantula (depending on the species). Those worms don't sound good, if they are nematodes then your tarantula is in danger if it's something like fruit fly maggots then a simple rehouse should fix that. If you can show us a picture of both the T and its enclosure that will help us answer you more.
I can see what you mean, I probably keep it too wet. I have been buying peet blocks and having to make it myself (adding water to it to fluff it out) as per my breeders instructions, freezing it and then airing it out for a few days. I've attached some photos. Before posting this thread and after noticing these worms I sprayed her with a bit of water. When taking these photos it looks like she has cleaned herself as I'm struggling to see any worms on her now...

Attachments

Manon

Arachnopeon
No ICU. just put her in a container and move her in an enclosure with new substrate. Dont wet the substrate for at least a week. Keep it DRY. larvae need moisture and all that are on her will die of dehydration. after you no longer see the worms proceed as usual. which species is the spider?
I will have to run to the pet store tomorrow and grab some substrate. I normally make my own substrate from Peet which needs to be made with water so I'll see if that makes her any better!! Will I need to do anything to the substrate I buy from the pet store to make sure no new bugs come with it?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I will have to run to the pet store tomorrow and grab some substrate. I normally make my own substrate from Peet which needs to be made with water so I'll see if that makes her any better!! Will I need to do anything to the substrate I buy from the pet store to make sure no new bugs come with it?
nah new should be good. It usually is.

Manon

Arachnopeon
Could be from the crickets, but if its phorid flies they may of just laid their eggs in your enclosure, and could of come in on their own.

They need a moist environement to survive and breed. Keep in mind freezing the substrate isn't all that effective and won't kill everything. I would start fresh and quarantine your T, after a few days re introduce it to a nice clean enclosure.

Good luck!
I looked up phorid flies and the larvae pics don't look like what I'm seeing :( these worms are as wide as a pin head, silver/transparent in colour and they wriggle soo much.

Thank you so much! I will buy new substrate and quarantine her! :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ICUs are bad except for extreme dyhydration. Even then I would leave it with a water dish, or maybe drip water on its fangs.