Is my T in danger???

cold blood

Staff member
Keep in mind that cold doesn't always kill things, often they just go dormant...heat is what you would need to apply to kill anything.

In the future you need to increase ventilation and not keep the sub so wet.

For now, its obviously re-house time.

boina

Lady of the mites
And we still don't know what kind of spider you are keeping...

Trying to sterilze any substrate that's to be kept moist is just a waste of time and freezing is about the most useless thing of all. Everything that can live in there will come in through the air - no crickets or anything needed. Flies come through the air, and so do fungus gnats (and mite eggs and springtail eggs and...). Actually what I think you have are the larval stage of fungus gnats, although I've NEVER seen an infestation like that. It would fit with the very small "fly" you've seen escape. If they are fungus gnat larvae, as I think, you are in luck: They will not harm the spider. Nevertheless, with that kind of infestation: rehouse.

So, for the new enclosure: Ventilation is key, as in any moist enclosure. If you got that much condensation you for sure did not have enough ventilation. Add more ventilation holes!!!
Stagnant air inside the container also allows the growths of all kinds of bacteria that may really harm the spider.

And yes, ventilation holes will let things like flies and mites in from the outside - and that is a GOOD thing. They will compete with each other and you will not have such a massive infestation of one species as you are having right now. Again, do not try to keep things sterile - in a moist enclosure it will not work, whatever you are doing. Instead, add springtails and maybe isopods. They are completely harmless for the spider and will outcompete all the nuisances and harmfull bugs.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
I can see what you mean, I probably keep it too wet. ... Before posting this thread and after noticing these worms I sprayed her with a bit of water.
And please, do not spray water directly on your spider, especially since she's definitely wet enough already from the substrate.

Manon

Arachnopeon

Trying to sterilze any substrate that's to be kept moist is just a waste of time and freezing is about the most useless thing of all. Everything that can live in there will come in through the air - no crickets or anything needed. Flies come through the air, and so do fungus gnats (and mite eggs and springtail eggs and...). Actually what I think you have are the larval stage of fungus gnats, although I've NEVER seen an infestation like that. It would fit with the very small "fly" you've seen escape. If they are fungus gnat larvae, as I think, you are in luck: They will not harm the spider. Nevertheless, with that kind of infestation: rehouse.

So, for the new enclosure: Ventilation is key, as in any moist enclosure. If you got that much condensation you for sure did not have enough ventilation. Add more ventilation holes!!!
Stagnant air inside the container also allows the growths of all kinds of bacteria that may really harm the spider.

And yes, ventilation holes will let things like flies and mites in from the outside - and that is a GOOD thing. They will compete with each other and you will not have such a massive infestation of one species as you are having right now. Again, do not try to keep things sterile - in a moist enclosure it will not work, whatever you are doing. Instead, add springtails and maybe isopods. They are completely harmless for the spider and will outcompete all the nuisances and harmfull bugs.
She's a Phlogius sp rubiseta :)

Manon

Arachnopeon
Keep in mind that cold doesn't always kill things, often they just go dormant...heat is what you would need to apply to kill anything.

In the future you need to increase ventilation and not keep the sub so wet.

For now, its obviously re-house time.
Thank you so much! :) I appreciate the help and advice!

Last edited:

Manon

Arachnopeon

Do you know much about nematodes? The more I'm researching about them the more convinced I am that that's what they are :(
They're like pinhead sized worms that are very wriggly. They're no longer than 0.3mm. It's like theyre hanging onto her like a leach. I'm unsure how to get them off of her She seems to have gotten rid of quite a bit herself though as there don't seem to be as many as when I posted this.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Do you know much about nematodes? The more I'm researching about them the more convinced I am that that's what they are :(
They're like pinhead sized worms that are very wriggly. They're no longer than 0.3mm. It's like theyre hanging onto her like a leach. I'm unsure how to get them off of her She seems to have gotten rid of quite a bit herself though as there don't seem to be as many as when I posted this.
I dont know everything yet, and i probably never will, but if i remember right, nematodes are basically a death sentence. Im not sure if you can get rid of them. Once an infestation is that advanced theres no telling if theyve worked their way into the mouth parts of the T. If they have.... well. Ya know. But. Several people before me, all with much more experience than both of us combined, have said they think its something else. So do what they said about that before you worry about what they ARENT saying it is. Does that make sense? Because i wrote it and im not sure it does. Basically, rehouse it into something that doesnt look like shreks yard, and clean it out, fill it with new sub, and make sure it doesnt look like shreks yard, either. Put the new sub in the oven before you put it in. Thatll dry it out AND kill anything you may be paranoid about being in there. Not sure on temps or how long.

boina

Lady of the mites
From the picture I'd go with gnat larvae, but I can't be sure without a microscopic picture. However, nematodes are a huge group of animals, some are parasites and some simply live in the soil and are detrivores. @JoshDM020 , nematodes that parasitize a tarantula are nearly always a death sentence, yes, but: in that case the nematodes should be in clusters around the tarantulas mouth and anus and not all over the place. If these are nematodes they are in all likelihood soil nematodes, and again this would be a very unusual form of infestation, and overall harmless for the T. As to getting them off you T: I've no clue, really, as I've never seen anything like it. Letting them dry out, maybe? A more or less adult tarantula should be able to live in dry conditions for a while.

Manon

Arachnopeon
I can't say thankyou enough to all who offered help and advice! Been a T owner for 3 years and still have a lot to learn :) I haven't met many people where I live who are into Ts who can offer their advice so this forum is amazing!
Both of my Ts have been rehoused (thought I'd better do both for precautionary measures) and the new substrate (coconut Coir) which I've never used before is looking and feeling fantastic! Also very easy to heat up to kill anything that may be in it and cools very quickly! No messing around with water like I was previously doing with the peat blocks, wish I'd used the coconut coir sooner!
I will keep watch over my Rubiseta who I suspect is/was sick as often as I can. I will update in a week to let you all know the outcome! :)
Honestly, great forum. Glad to be a part of this community!

Attachments

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I can't say thankyou enough to all who offered help and advice! Been a T owner for 3 years and still have a lot to learn :) I haven't met many people where I live who are into Ts who can offer their advice so this forum is amazing!
Both of my Ts have been rehoused (thought I'd better do both for precautionary measures) and the new substrate (coconut Coir) which I've never used before is looking and feeling fantastic! Also very easy to heat up to kill anything that may be in it and cools very quickly! No messing around with water like I was previously doing with the peat blocks, wish I'd used the coconut coir sooner!
I will keep watch over my Rubiseta who I suspect is/was sick as often as I can. I will update in a week to let you all know the outcome! :)
Honestly, great forum. Glad to be a part of this community!
You're not gonna like this, but it looks like the one on the right needs more sub. Lotta distance to fall if they decide to climb that. Unless you have a huge species in there.

Manon

Arachnopeon
You're not gonna like this, but it looks like the one on the right needs more sub. Lotta distance to fall if they decide to climb that. Unless you have a huge species in there.
Noted! I shall be adding more :) thanks!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Is that PVC pipe that you are using for a hide @Manon ? You should change it to a more suitable hide. Cork bark or a half log, both of which are able to be buried at an angle in the substrate to resemble a burrow.

Those hides appear to be a bit too cavernous and not all that "secure" feeling for them.