Is my spider dead?

jalapenopizza

Arachnopeon
I got this A. Geniculata as a sling in June and it was in perfect health. It has molted 3 times since then without any issue, eats before/after, but now she seems to have just suddenly died. She just completed her third molt at the beginning of October and refused food (understandable) so I left her alone for about a week (but checking in every day to make sure she’s still active). She was fine up until yesterday where I noticed she was somewhat sprawled sideways across the green leaf shown in the picture and did not respond to being touched at all. I assumed she died and tried to gently take her out of her position and her legs curled up over her head. It wasn’t an instant motion, more like an elastic type reaction of them just slowly moving over her head? I’ve left her alone besides some light watering until this morning where she is again unresponsive to touch and I do not see any signs of molting.
-Her abdomen is not shriveled or even missing hair
-She was moving around a few days ago and looked ‘hungry’
I just lost a 12 year old tarantula in May so I know this doesn’t look like that death curl, but this has me worrying. Can they die upright like this? Or did I kill her by moving her :( 54B0DFF1-99C1-4A0E-9DC6-8DED505BE25E.jpeg 1CF94FE6-6C1C-41C1-867D-B27FEC5B023C.jpeg 5C359967-5641-4B6C-99D6-71DC4A1D0FB2.jpeg AB0D8CF2-7345-473C-A52D-F1B0D9226663.jpeg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I can't see very well, but that doesn't look like a death curl to me - just stressed at being disturbed while she is at her most vulnerable and she is trying to hide herself.
It is extremely important that spiders have a constant water source - especially after moulting when they are at the most risk of dying of dehydration. Do not rely on misting, or dribbling a bit of water on the leaves, as it evaporates far too quickly. Always make sure that there is a dish of water with fresh water in it at all times. That enclosure is plenty large enough to accommodate a pop bottle lid, or something similar. Please add one.

Table

Arachnosquire
Just a stressed T, I'd give it a water dish and put in a quiet dark place.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
looks like it just molted and it is chilling / stretching out. Leave it be. Handling the enclosure isn't doing it any favors

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
STRESS! AAaarg. I would rehouse into a container twice that size and get rid of the clutter. A simple hide with room to freely move about the cabin is best.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
STRESS! AAaarg. I would rehouse into a container twice that size and get rid of the clutter. A simple hide with room to freely move about the cabin is best.
agreed. More room, and more room, in that more room. People tend to decorate for themselves, not their Ts.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's a stress curl (legs pulled in tight to the body with the knees of the front legs covering the eye cluster)

jalapenopizza

Arachnopeon
She ended up dying. I moved her to a new enclosure with water but it seems as though I was too late. I’m sure this is my fault as I wasn’t aware she should’ve had open access to water; I thought slings only needed small drops in their tank to drink from. It’s my bad and I feel horrible for it. 😞

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
for the future - Simplify.
A) Have a hide
B) Build up substrate on top of the hide so there is a split level
C) Have water
You had that enclosure so full it really had nowhere to go, which will stress them, plus little access to water
Similar sized enclosure, the entrance to the hide is below and behind her. She left her burrow, made a U Turn and is climbing on top of it.
Boehmi top.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
She ended up dying. I moved her to a new enclosure with water but it seems as though I was too late. I’m sure this is my fault as I wasn’t aware she should’ve had open access to water; I thought slings only needed small drops in their tank to drink from. It’s my bad and I feel horrible for it. 😞
Sorry to hear about that. It happens. But for the future this site is a wealth spring of knowledge.