Is my scorpion in trouble?

EdS

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I just purchased my first emperor scorpion yesterday from the pet store. The employee told me that the zilla brand premium dessert kit was sufficient but after a quick read on these boards it seems that may not be the case. I certainly want to care for it correctly. Please can someone tell me if this setup is ok?
3 or so inches of coconut husk fiber. (No gravel)
Hot side around 85 degrees with 1 25w day white and 1 red 25w bulb on top of enclosure.
10 gallon tank with hide on both sides and water dish in the middle.

Included a pic if that will help.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Usually I never trust pet store stuff, but this actually seems adequate. sub can be a bit more humid; I would tape up the lid a bit.

EdS

Arachnopeon
Usually I never trust pet store stuff, but this actually seems adequate. sub can be a bit more humid; I would tape up the lid a bit.
Thanks so much. I've been concerned all day that I've screwed it up and causing my scorpion problems.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
The red light might be handy if you want to watch the scorpion at night, but the white light will all but guarantee you'll never see it during the daytime. Scorpions are nocturnal, so they do not need or even want any extra light sources at all. If you were using it as a heat source you'd probably be better off swapping out the bulb for a ceramic heater.

basin79

ArachnoGod
For an emp that's terrible. Sub needs to be deeper and damp. Height is wasted. The lid won't keep in any humidity. That's an enclosure for a small lizard or a small snake sold for a scorpion.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could probably add a bit more substrate! Also the enclosure needs to be more moist looks kinda dry. I'd cover the majority of the screen lid with something to keep moisture from evaporating and drying out the enclosure.

Scorpionidad

Arachno-overlord
Old Timer
I like it. Very good set up. Looking a little dry though, I would mist the enclosure (taking heed not to directly mist the scorpion) once in the morning and once at night. if you start to see little bugs you may want to give all the soil a good boil. Remember to remove any scraps your scorpion leaves behind as this can attract mites and mold. I don't know weather or not the amount of substrate is a problem. If that is all you have currently, without disturbing the scorpion much, maybe scoop a bunch of soil to one side until you get more. Remember the Pandinus Imperator originates from the rain forests/savannas in Africa. Simulate that place.