Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Is my scorpion in trouble?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by EdS, Nov 10, 2019 at 3:27 PM.

1. EdS

EdS Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello,
    I just purchased my first emperor scorpion yesterday from the pet store. The employee told me that the zilla brand premium dessert kit was sufficient but after a quick read on these boards it seems that may not be the case. I certainly want to care for it correctly. Please can someone tell me if this setup is ok?
    3 or so inches of coconut husk fiber. (No gravel)
    Hot side around 85 degrees with 1 25w day white and 1 red 25w bulb on top of enclosure.
    10 gallon tank with hide on both sides and water dish in the middle.

Included a pic if that will help.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. zyphonix223

zyphonix223 Arachnosquire Active Member

Usually I never trust pet store stuff, but this actually seems adequate. sub can be a bit more humid; I would tape up the lid a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EdS

EdS Arachnopeon

Thanks so much. I've been concerned all day that I've screwed it up and causing my scorpion problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FrankiePinchinatti

FrankiePinchinatti Arachnosquire Active Member

The red light might be handy if you want to watch the scorpion at night, but the white light will all but guarantee you'll never see it during the daytime. Scorpions are nocturnal, so they do not need or even want any extra light sources at all. If you were using it as a heat source you'd probably be better off swapping out the bulb for a ceramic heater.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

For an emp that's terrible. Sub needs to be deeper and damp. Height is wasted. The lid won't keep in any humidity. That's an enclosure for a small lizard or a small snake sold for a scorpion.

6. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Arachnosquire Active Member

Could probably add a bit more substrate! Also the enclosure needs to be more moist looks kinda dry. I'd cover the majority of the screen lid with something to keep moisture from evaporating and drying out the enclosure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.