Is my scorpion dead.....?

Dylaneus

Arachnopeon
Hmm..
My African Emperor has been sleeping in the corner ever since... boy, October? It's been about 60 in the cage and the humidity has been around 80. There's water available but I stopped adding crickets out of fear that they might attack it. Recently I tried poking the scorpion with a pencil and it's really stiff. Is this just a hibernating scorpion or is this rigor mortis?
:? :(

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
60 of what: Celcius or Farentheit? In one or another way: it's baked or frozen if you talk about temperature. :confused:
Dylaneus said:
It's been about 60 in the cage

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you are saying the temperature in the cage stayed at 60 and humidity at 80 or so, is that right? 60 for the temp is way too low, as of course scorpions can adapat on conditions, it is good idea to mimic its actual conditions. I would do temp 80+, and humidity 80%+.

Good luck.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i think it may be dead. never heard or read of a scorpion hibernating. much more an emp

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, im 99.9 % sure its dead, but jack up the temp to 90F anyway for an hour or so, just to make sure, even though im sure its dead from the cold.

The Bear

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I was in your position and the scorpion hasn't moved in that long then move him yourself. Stress is bad but a little wont kill it and wasting your time, energy and worrying about its not worth it. I say find out if hes dead or not.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is it lying with its tail flat and straight out behind it? If so, it's definately dead. Has been for awhile...

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like it might be dead, most scorpions when they die tend to extend their tail to a straight position. My experience with hybrenating scorps is that they tend to curl up (as if to keep warm.)

Hope it is the last one.

Best of luck.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you've been keeping it at 60F then its not really surprising if it died, thats substantially below the temperatures they normally live at, and while they are quite tolerant of variance in conditions thats a bit much over a long time.