Is my scorpion constipated or is this normal?

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
The area near the tail that’s white (similar color to its actual skin) has me concerned. I’ve seen different information around the web from “that’s just his skin bro” to “that’ll kill your favorite pet”. So I wanted to ask if that white area of the tail near the telson is anything to worry about or if it’s Normal. Scorpion is eating fine, humidity is at 95% and temp fluctuates from 70 to 77 with a 82 degrees heat pad on the side he likes to stay near. Any info is appreciated.

Attachments

jhjhj

Arachnopeon
That’s the anus. Nothing to worry about the regarding the scorpions physical health, but 95% humidity sounds high to me.

Ben L

Arachnopeon
While a few of my scorpions have this same white coloration, however, it isn't as large as yours. I have also never seen an emperor/giant forest scorpion (I am assuming that is the species you have because of the high humidity) with such a large white patch like that. I doubt your scorpion is constipated and it is most likely just scorpion poo residue that is stuck to the end of the tail. Is it eating and behaving normally? I'm not sure if scorpions can get impaction but if you are able to look underneath the scorpion and notice a large white clump on the inside of it, then it is constipated. They only reasons I know that scorpions have trouble dephacating is when they lose their stinger or parts of their tail.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We all love high humidity, but 95% seems a bit much to me. Maybe dial it back to around 80 or 85%?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The area near the tail that’s white (similar color to its actual skin) has me concerned. I’ve seen different information around the web from “that’s just his skin bro” to “that’ll kill your favorite pet”. So I wanted to ask if that white area of the tail near the telson is anything to worry about or if it’s Normal. Scorpion is eating fine, humidity is at 95% and temp fluctuates from 70 to 77 with a 82 degrees heat pad on the side he likes to stay near. Any info is appreciated.
I don't see anything that is immediately alarming per se. But I do agree 95% humidity is a bit high. Those gauges are not the most accurate either so it could be even higher than 95 which is not natural (they burrow to escape unfavorable conditions).

What does the whole enclosure look like? It should have several inches of moist (not saturated) substrate for burrowing.

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
I don't see anything that is immediately alarming per se. But I do agree 95% humidity is a bit high. Those gauges are not the most accurate either so it could be even higher than 95 which is not natural (they burrow to escape unfavorable conditions).

What does the whole enclosure look like? It should have several inches of moist (not saturated) substrate for burrowing.

Here is a picture, I’m using a plastic tote and organic top soil with peat moss mixed in for my substrate, it’s just under 6” deep. I have difficulty in decreasing the humidity even tho I’ve left it alone for over a month. If you have any recommendations to lower it, let me know. Massachusetts summers are very humid so it’s probably not helping either.
A456DC7D-C9BE-4E3F-9FEF-0FA9E9A03670.jpeg 9DD802FF-79AC-4C25-B5FD-EBD86EF36C86.jpeg

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
We all love high humidity, but 95% seems a bit much to me. Maybe dial it back to around 80 or 85%?
I sent pictures of the enclosure to another post just below yours if you want to see my tub, but I’m having trouble with it getting below 92% RH. Massachusetts summers are very humid so that’s another reason I’m sure, since I don’t spray often whatsoever. Do you know any way to lower the humidity or just leave it alone? Thanks for any help.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Here is a picture, I’m using a plastic tote and organic top soil with peat moss mixed in for my substrate, it’s just under 6” deep. I have difficulty in decreasing the humidity even tho I’ve left it alone for over a month. If you have any recommendations to lower it, let me know. Massachusetts summers are very humid so it’s probably not helping either.
View attachment 419969 View attachment 419970
The tub is restricting most air flow which is contributing to the excessive humidity. Try increasing the amount of ventilation holes.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I sent pictures of the enclosure to another post just below yours if you want to see my tub, but I’m having trouble with it getting below 92% RH. Massachusetts summers are very humid so that’s another reason I’m sure, since I don’t spray often whatsoever. Do you know any way to lower the humidity or just leave it alone? Thanks for any help.
More holes like the other guy said (nearer to the top of the tub)