Is my red rump ill

sergiom

Arachnopeon
Hi All,

I have noticed that my Mexican red rump has started to eat less and I also noticed that he is loosing hair on the back of his abdomen. Attached is a pic I hope he is ok?

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have noticed that my Mexican red rump has started to eat less and I also noticed that he is loosing hair on the back of his abdomen.
I might be a mature male nearing the end of his life. Do you have any pictures of the pedipalps or pictures of the front legs from the side?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I might be a mature male nearing the end of his life. Do you have any pictures of the pedipalps or pictures of the front legs from the side?
This^^^ or Some NW's spread hairs around the enclosure as a defense. My B vagans is about bald on the abdomen as can be, and completely fine. She's ugly, but healthy. I'd kill for a molt. They also quit eating for a multitude of reasons. Just keep water in the dish. But do post pics like @Ungoliant asked. If it is a MM, he needs a date. Give him a purpose if it's a him.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Maybe it's my old eyes, maybe my lack of experience with MM's. Where are the hooks?
On the two legs that reach farthest to the right. Plus those look like some extremely thick pedipalps there to the bottom right.

sergiom

Arachnopeon
Thanks all I got this guy on the 22 March and within a week of having him he molted, so I guess his on his way out :( Very sad as the kids were loving him :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Definitely a mature male. It could be stress or he's preparing to make a sperm web. I'd also prepare yourself for the liklihood that he won't live for much longer.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
You have a MM who has no interest in anything but finding a female, my MM B.Smithi walked around his enclosure non - stop for almost 2 weeks, I ended up pairing him with a friends MF, he has now since died but not in vain as the female has had babies and are now spread far and wide, hope you find him a mate soon.......

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Thanks all I got this guy on the 22 March and within a week of having him he molted, so I guess his on his way out :( Very sad as the kids were loving him :)
It's unfortunately part of the tarantula keeping hobby. Males only last 3-6 years, and they don't get as big. But, on the plus side, if you can find someone who wants to breed that species, you can often sell or trade the MM and get more tarantulas.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Lol, in all fairness, I've only been at this a year. I've never claimed to be an expert. I stay within my own experience when giving advice. I work full time and have more on my plate than this hobby. I'm just not the bookworm that some are. Not an excuse, it just is what it is.
If you look at my list of T's on my profile, you notice I like buying and keeping the girls. I have one male. I've physically only ever seen two MM's. I have the Tarantula Keepers Guide, but the anatomy chapter cures insomnia. I'm just learning to sex these guys because the local group I surround myself with is really good at sexing and it's easier to pass the question on.
I can take the razzing and actually enjoy it a bit. But even people who have a title higher than Arachnopeon have basic questions. Thanks for the education and don't hesitate to give me crap. I may give it back though. It's all in good fun.

Last edited: