Is my P murinus male or female?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any ideas? The spider is around 2" across. I've never attempted spider sexing of any sort before.
Not sure if this picture is enough for any of you experienced sexers, but here goes anyway.

I apologise for the large picture but I didn't want to reduce it and lose detail.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would haft to go with code monkey, LOOKS like a male.. I could be wrong.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hmm, I have Vayu Son's immature male, and his booklung arrangement is much closer together, with the patch in the middle like an upsidedown \_/ shape.
but he's also probably one molt away from going ultimate, and quite a bit larger.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
hmm, I have Vayu Son's immature male, and his booklung arrangement is much closer together, with the patch in the middle like an upsidedown \_/ shape.
I could be wrong. I hesitated because of the wide dish area between the book lungs as you note, but that's a mighty straight line across the abdomen and there's no sign of slerotisation of the furrow. On the other hand, I'm much more familiar with sexing new worlders than I am old worlders.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
C_M, my first thought was 'male' also, but then I looked at mine, and I'm thinking it could be a female. Since the OW ts are slimmer in the abdomen, I think it *does* look a bit different then the NW ones...but I'm no expert!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Can it even be reliably sexed visually at that size? I know you can do it pretty well with alot of the new worlders, but looking at that pic, I do a big fat :? .

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats a male,
In my 1" slings, you can see a lip on the females, or slerotisation. And none on the males. IMO

Ernie

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm....seems from replies so far that I have been sold a hermaphrodite spider :eek:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Hmmm....seems from replies so far that I have been sold a hermaphrodite spider :eek:
No, just that its sexual characteristics might not be developed well enough to sex reliably with external characters.

Some types of Ts, for instance, the Brachypelma, are generally sexable at 2", or even smaller, visually. Other types, such as my Nhandu coloratovillosus, is still only "probably female" with a legspan in excess of 4" (really hoping the next moult confirms it, have to get to it quicker this time).

Your P. murinus has one very female character: the semi circle dish above the epigastric furrow and also has no visible epiandrous fusilae.

But, then it has a very male characteristic: the furrow is straight across the abdomen with no thickening anywhere.

Not being very familiar with juvenile P. murinus (I'm currently raising my first two orange bitey things), I just don't know enough to firmly come down on a particular side. My gut says male, but I still have my doubts.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi Lopez,

My first guess would have been an immature female, as I see no obvious spermweb spinnerettes (epiandrous fusilae). This however doesn't necessarily prove anything as I've come to find that there are specimens in which the males have less noticeable "hairs" there, blending in with the surrounding hairs. This is where a pocket microscope comes in handy. I've found 60x is a bit much, lol! and I'm looking to get a 30x (though 60x is good for other things). You can look at either the shed skin or the spider (if it allows) :D

At any rate, without inspecting it personally, my first guess would have been immature female.

Cheers,

Paul

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by phoenixxavierre
You can look at either the shed skin or the spider (if it allows) :D
Don't think this one would allow me to inspect it up close. ALthough it often calms down after being initially disturbed, this is nearly always followed out by a ballistic freak-out of immense proportion - the thing wheelspins on the spot throwing dirt around before it actually manages to grip the floor properly and take off.

I'm hoping it's getting to the premoult stage now, so with a bit of luck I will be able to salvage the shed skin without losing a limb to this 2 inch psychopath.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Don't think this one would allow me to inspect it up close. ALthough it often calms down after being initially disturbed, this is nearly always followed out by a ballistic freak-out of immense proportion - the thing wheelspins on the spot throwing dirt around before it actually manages to grip the floor properly and take off.

I'm hoping it's getting to the premoult stage now, so with a bit of luck I will be able to salvage the shed skin without losing a limb to this 2 inch psychopath.
Lopez,

Such an apt description of the little Pterrors! lol!

I've had a few that would allow me to look them over, and others that would not. They sure can burst into a frenzy of speed and energy at any given moment if they so desire!

Good luck on getting that shed skin! what size of container is the pterror in?

Take care,

Paul

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have not sexed Keoche. (Our insane orange demon bitch).
I have proclaimed her female until such a time as she gets stubby palps and or gives me a molt to look at.
She goes into phyco freakout weirdness with no noticable stimuli.
Nothing is safe in her tank.
So the idea of examining her is out of the question an the Only time she's up on the glass is if she thinks theres a chance that lid might open.
Then she scrambles up and waits, fangs half extended.
I personaly think she's kicking herself for not getting me when she had the chance to and is hoping to get payback.

Crazy orange bitey things.....

I can't make a guess on yours. Sorry, but I'm still to new to sexing.
Right now unless it's slap in the face obvious.
I'm prolly dead wrong.