Is my millipede going into molt?

mossloft

Arachnosquire
My O. ornatus has made itself a chamber up against the corner of its enclosure. I can see him moving around and wiggling his antennae, and he often changes positions, but I check pretty often it looks like he hasnt left in a week or two. Is he going into molt? If not, what is he doing down there...? I've heard O. ornatus are pretty surface active, so...

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
That’s what the do when they molt. Burrow down. I’d say it’s definitely getting ready to molt.

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
I completely agree, I see mine go dig themselves little chambers whenever they want to go moult too. Just whatever you do, please DO NOT DIG HIM UP! Even if you think he’s done moulting and see bits of exoskeleton around him he could still be very soft and digging him up could kill him because they’re ever so delicate during and after moulting. Just leave him be until he comes out of his chamber on his own! He’ll be out when he’s good and ready.

mossloft

Arachnosquire
I completely agree, I see mine go dig themselves little chambers whenever they want to go moult too. Just whatever you do, please DO NOT DIG HIM UP! Even if you think he’s done moulting and see bits of exoskeleton around him he could still be very soft and digging him up could kill him because they’re ever so delicate during and after moulting. Just leave him be until he comes out of his chamber on his own! He’ll be out when he’s good and ready.
Yeah absolutely!!!! I know not to mess with molting inverts!!!! I know abt millis molting n stuff, i just thought it had been quite some time stuck in there while still moving around, so i wasnt sure!!! Thank you!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I have heard of Dendrostreptus macracanthus (also spirostreptids) taking up to 2 months to finish a molt, so a couple weeks for other species doesn't sound unusual.

Thanks,

Arthroverts