Is my jumping spider molting or injured?

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
New spider mom here so bear with me. I've been caring for a jumping spider that I found living in my door jam for about 2 weeks now. The first week she ate very well. She has not eaten this week. Yesterday she appeared to be sleeping all day in this decorative flower in her enclosure. Today I removed the flower from the enclosure and placed it in a smaller enclosure to feed her. I placed her in there with a cricket. She didn't come out and I didn't see the cricket go into the flower so I do not think they interacted, but I was not staring at them so I cannot say for sure. When I went to place the flower back in her enclosure I noticed that her legs were facing up and she looked strange. I was worried that somehow she had gotten injured. I left her alone and checked back later and saw this. I have no idea what I'm looking at. Her body is moving slightly. Can anyone tell me what is going on with her?

Attachments

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
You're looking at an exuvium - a shed exoskeleton. Those holes on the side you can see where she pulled her legs out of the old exoskeleton. Leave her alone to recover for a few days :)

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
Thank you so much! I misted her enclosure and will leave her alone until she is ready to come out. I hope I didn't disturb her too much by removing the flower she was in. She didn't make a nest so I had no idea that she was molting. I'm excited to see her new look!