Is my jumping spider hungry or getting ready to molt?

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
I found this little gal that I've named Ichabod hanging out by my front door. I got an enclosure for her and fed her flies and crickets for over a week. There are no more flies in the house and the pet store doesn't have crickets in. I have tried dubia roaches and mealworms but she won't take them. Should I try flightless fruit flies or leave her be?
It is winter here and I'm wondering if she is getting ready to molt. Also where should I place her enclosure? She previously lived in the door jam of my front door. I had her near the led lamps on a shelf in my room. I have thought about moving her to the windowsill. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Here are some more photos that show her abdomen and what I believe was her old nest when she lived in my door jam. Does she look hungry? And can you tell if she is mature? I think I see an exoskeleton in her old nest.

Attachments

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
Here are some more photos that show her abdomen and what I believe was her old nest when she lived in my door jam. Does she look hungry? And can you tell if she is mature? I think I see an exoskeleton in her old nest.
hungry?! shes stuffed to bursting*. Youre overfeeding her. If you see an exoskeleton then she cant be pregnant, at least. To know if shes mature you have to see her epigynum, located on her underside, it looks like a little belly button, below where her legs connect to her body. She doesnt have one, shes not mature.

*this is a joke btw. she is fine, but shes definitely not hungry. you can feed her once every 4-7 days without a problem.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
You can get a little transparent Tupperware and put her in it, and take a picture of her underside.

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
hungry?! shes stuffed to bursting*. Youre overfeeding her. If you see an exoskeleton then she cant be pregnant, at least. To know if shes mature you have to see her epigynum, located on her underside, it looks like a little belly button, below where her legs connect to her body. She doesnt have one, shes not mature.

*this is a joke btw. she is fine, but shes definitely not hungry. you can feed her once every 4-7 days without a problem.
Thank you for relieving my anxiety. I'll leave her be and try feeding again in a day or so. Here is a picture of her underbelly. It's not a great photo but maybe you can see her epigynum. I thought I saw it but I might have been wrong.

You can get a little transparent Tupperware and put her in it, and take a picture of her underside.
I have one pic but it's not very good. I'll snap another one next time she is on the wall.

might help you in general so you can get a lot of basic questions answered btw ^^
Thank you! That helps a lot!

Attachments

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
I feel like that article puts a too much emphasis on “humidity” which isn’t as important as most people say. Try to mimic humidity of their natural environment, don’t stress too much about it.
the most popular species in the hobby is phidippus regius which can die in a mismolt in humidity below 70% and ideally should be at 80%

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
the most popular species in the hobby is phidippus regius which can die in a mismolt in humidity below 70% and ideally should be at 80%
I am just saying that not all jumping spiders need that kind of humidity. But even on care guides for other species, people tend to put a lot of emphasis on humidity, even if they don’t need it. In the link it said that they recommended Phidippus audax, which I’ve been told has similar care to Platycryptus undatus, which has almost no humidity requirements. That’s why I said that. I think you took it as “humidity isn’t important” which is not what I meant, what I meant was that you should try to mimic the humidity levels of their natural habitat, which if it’s dry, you don’t need a lot of humidity. If it’s very humid (like Florida is, that’s where most regius live) then they need a lot of humidity. 😊

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
I live in Central Washington in the mountains where it is very dry. I have been misting her enclosure every day though. I'm hoping that's enough.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
I am just saying that not all jumping spiders need that kind of humidity. But even on care guides for other species, people tend to put a lot of emphasis on humidity, even if they don’t need it. In the link it said that they recommended Phidippus audax, which I’ve been told has similar care to Platycryptus undatus, which has almost no humidity requirements. That’s why I said that. I think you took it as “humidity isn’t important” which is not what I meant, what I meant was that you should try to mimic the humidity levels of their natural habitat, which if it’s dry, you don’t need a lot of humidity. If it’s very humid (like Florida is, that’s where most regius live) then they need a lot of humidity. 😊
if they can and do die without it, its being put emphasis on.
its necessary and youre entitled to whatever opinion you have but this is good husbandry. more is better than not enough and it being stuck inside its molt or having to rip its legs off to get free. period :)

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
if they can and do die without it, its being put emphasis on.
its necessary and youre entitled to whatever opinion you have but this is good husbandry. more is better than not enough and it being stuck inside its molt or having to rip its legs off to get free. period :)
I really feel like you’re misunderstanding me. I never said that it’s not important. I never said it should be ignored. I said that not all jumping spiders need high humidity like some sources imply! what you need to do is pay attention to what species it is and where it lives. And try to mimic what it is like outside. If you’re directly misting the enclosure like you should there will be humidity. It just depends on how much. You don’t want to over mist a species that likes it drier (Not completely dry!)“whatever my opinion is”, is based on observation and experience. I am entitled to no opinions when it comes to things like this, there are facts and falsehoods (and occasional things with multiple choices, but usually lead to the same result). If you think this is untrue, please explain to me in detail why. You can PM me if you like. No I am not being passive aggressive, just genuinely curious.

Last edited:

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
I really feel like you’re misunderstanding me. I never said that it’s not important. I never said it should be ignored. I said that not all jumping spiders need high humidity like some sources imply! what you need to do is pay attention to what species it is and where it lives. And try to mimic what it is like outside. If you’re directly misting the enclosure like you should there will be humidity. It just depends on how much. You don’t want to over mist a species that likes it drier (Not completely dry!)“whatever my opinion is”, is based on observation and experience. I am entitled to no opinions when it comes to things like this, there are facts and falsehoods (and occasional things with multiple choices, but usually lead to the same result). If you think this is untrue, please explain to me in detail why. You can PM me if you like. No I am not being passive aggressive, just genuinely curious.
oh no, i know. youre right in you should try to adhere to the species. the problem is, i state that clearly in the document, and youre acting like i didnt ^^; I did say to research your own species in particular. Misting is also something you can never do too much unless 1) your ventilation is poor, causing mold 2) your misting into big drops that can drown a spider, which i advise against in the doc as well and 3) youre misting on the spider or something you shouldnt.

There is no such thing as too much misting for a molt otherwise, and so its better to tell people to err on the side of caution than to not do it enough. i cant tell you how many hundreds of babies ive seen posted with their legs ripped off bc the owner did not mist enough. it is just one of the more horrific ways to fail your sling.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
oh no, i know. youre right in you should try to adhere to the species. the problem is, i state that clearly in the document, and youre acting like i didnt ^^; I did say to research your own species in particular. Misting is also something you can never do too much unless 1) your ventilation is poor, causing mold 2) your misting into big drops that can drown a spider, which i advise against in the doc as well and 3) youre misting on the spider or something you shouldnt.

There is no such thing as too much misting for a molt otherwise, and so its better to tell people to err on the side of caution than to not do it enough. i cant tell you how many hundreds of babies ive seen posted with their legs ripped off bc the owner did not mist enough. it is just one of the more horrific ways to fail your sling.
Thanks for clarifying! I must’ve missed that part! I understand now 😊