Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

IS MY ID CORRECT? Bothriocyrtum californicum

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Jorpion, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Advertisement
    Hello all-

Just need some expert feedback to see if I correctly identified this beauty that I ran into this evening. I found him wandering the scrubland after 3 days of much needed rain here in Southern California. I believe it is a "California Trapdoor Spider or Bothriocyrtum californicum There's no question that it's a male. He measures about 1.5". During my 14 years of living here and thoroughly scouring the hills, I have NEVER run into this species. I just love nature. Let me know what you all think. Sorry, the pictures are raw and have not been corrected.

Jeff

PS> I am placing him back where I found him tomorrow night - maybe further back so no one can harm him if he wanders a bit. :happy:

Bothriocyrtum californicum 002.jpg Bothriocyrtum californicum 003.jpg Bothriocyrtum californicum 001.jpg

2. You've got it. I found a couple after the rain here too. You have to either be looking for them or be at the right place at the right time to find them. I actually see their burrows everywhere now, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.