Is my h. spinifer dead?

Pandalorian

Arachnopeon
I have a young heterometrus spinifer and when I came home from work she/he was laying completely flat with his/her tail extended behind her, claws in front of her face with them open, her two front sets of legs slightly curled up in front of her, and her back legs semi relaxed as if she were standing. She did not respond to light or movement, and when I lightly brushed her back leg with tongs she did not respond. I just got home from work and she seemed fine this morning and yesterday was incredibly active. I can upload a picture in a little bit if you need it.
I'm just very concerned and haven't ever experienced a scorpion molt or seen anything during the process other than one timelapse I saw on youtube. I do keep several snakes so I know to maintain humidity and temperature. I've had her for roughly a month.

Thank you for any information you can provide me with, I very much appreciate it, I'm just really concerned about her.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I hope I'm wrong but your H.spinifer may be dead soon :/ Same exact thing happened with my H.petersii when I got home from school on Halloween. She was exactly as how you described yours. But I've never experienced a molt in my collection so I may be wrong. Good luck.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Sounds like my H. flavidukus scorpling. One day, it's tail just was layed out while it walked and later on that very day it died. Sorry to say this, but the limp tail and non-reactiveness suggests it is dying. Not sure how to fix the problem or find out what it was. The best guess I could come up with is that it may have been wild caught and had some sort of parasite or sickness? How long have you had it? Sometimes stuff like this just happens... Again, super sorry if it doesn't make it :(

Pandalorian

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, taking proactive measures, gave her a good misting and I'm gonna hope for the best, sorry for your losses =( Hope she pulls through but I think I'm prepared.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Thanks guys, taking proactive measures, gave her a good misting and I'm gonna hope for the best, sorry for your losses =( Hope she pulls through but I think I'm prepared.
Keeping the substrate moist is crucial for Heterometrus species. Misting is only good for short term. Moist topsoil is my preference, deep enough to burrow if they choose, very few vent holes to keep humidity up and temperature in the upper 70's. I've not had issues with molting of H. spinifer, or any of my other species, keeping them this way. A water dish should be available for drinking, especially if the substrate starts drying out.
Unfortunately, it reads as a death, or very close to it. Hopefully its not too late. Without a photo its difficult to be certain.
Picture of my female with her brood this past July. The soil was just starting to dry out on the surface, but there is a full water dish out of frame.

Attachments

Pandalorian

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I keep her sub moist and I keep a small bottle cap of water in there for her, with a couple small burrowing areas. Also, update: she hasn't moved but her claws are now closed, if that is a sign of anything. Her head has also turned slightly brown and so did the end of her sting and two segments leading from the sting to the tail.

Pandalorian

Arachnopeon
Keeping the substrate moist is crucial for Heterometrus species. Misting is only good for short term. Moist topsoil is my preference, deep enough to burrow if they choose, very few vent holes to keep humidity up and temperature in the upper 70's. I've not had issues with molting of H. spinifer, or any of my other species, keeping them this way. A water dish should be available for drinking, especially if the substrate starts drying out.
Unfortunately, it reads as a death, or very close to it. Hopefully its not too late. Without a photo its difficult to be certain.
Picture of my female with her brood this past July. The soil was just starting to dry out on the surface, but there is a full water dish out of frame.
Great picture, btw.

Pandalorian

Arachnopeon
Here's a picture for you guys. Sorry the colors are off, I couldn't get it to actually be viewable without turning flash on. You can see the brown coloration in her head and how it's slightly raised up. Hope this helps you identify. Still hoping for the best, but losing said hope slowly.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with the others here. Sorry for your loss @Pandalorian

Sometimes we lose them for seemingly no reason even in optimal conditions.

Hopefully your other(s) are okay.

Pandalorian

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, pretty sad but it's day three and most of her body has turned brown, so I'm gonna call it. I appreciate all your insights and I hope it's not my fault. Good luck with all of yours.

Pandalorian

Arachnopeon
Here's a picture of her the day before this happened. She was abnormally active, but I couldn't figure out why :( again sorry for the lighting/color, darned flash.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Pandalorian Post images of the enclosure. Tell us what the temperature/humidity/etc. are.
If anything is amiss we can steer you on the right path so it will help prevent the same scenario from happening with the next one you get.

If everything turns out to be optimal conditions then it will have to be chalked up to nature taking its course.