Is my H. arizonis Pregnant

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i can`t even tell if its a female `cause these species are hard to differenciate sexes (as I hear).But i just got it and was wondering if it`s normal for them to have their tergites streched out and the intersegmental membrane seems to be pretty much at its max. I also own a pair of P. imperators and the female isn`t even close to being that much streched in the abdominal area. I`ve observed other pics of these arizona`s(the lighter brown) and have seen a couple that seemed to be streched like this but it didn`t state if it was gravid or not. The person i bought it from said that he owned it for 6-8 months and it hasn`t had contact with other scorps during that time.Whats their gestation periods like?
If anybody can answer these ?`s id be ever-gratefull!!

Thanx
Mat

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Because females eat more than males on all scorpion species, males often fasting for longer periods of time, you can expect a female to be the only one who will get this kind of overall girth. It may be a gravid female, but you can shine a light from the side and look for dark areas. If they show up, this does not mean the scorpion is gravid, but is about the best way for a good guess.
Gestation period for Hadrurus arizonensis is unknown by me. All of mine are gravid, none having given birth yet. I will know soon enough and will average out the gestation period for each individual scorp to get my own average once they do give birth. If it is a gravid female, make sure the humidity is nearing the 50-55% range (misting causes a wet humidity which can cause a huge amount of stress on Hadrurus and even death [can occur rapidly], so do it as little as possible).

adios,
edw.

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey thanx for the info
Im not sure if she`s pregnant `cause i cant see much but if she isn`t can i get a male off of you when your`s hatch??
Thanx Again
Mat

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can probably find H. arizonensis a little quicker at an arachnoshop and as an adult. I currently only keep H. arizonensis pallidus and H. spadix in breeding conditions. This species is said to be one of the most difficult to raise from birth and difficult to breed, though the breeding part, I have found extremely easy. I will keep you informed.

adios,
edw. :D