Is my gbb sling in pre molt?

cold blood

Staff member
There's no reason to feed a t that's pre molt. After it molts you can feed it whatever you like...a half a mealworm would be fine then.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Does it look like it's in premolt though?
Well, the picture is not that great. And for GBB's, it is hard to tell if they are in pre molt or not. My suggestion is if you don't know it for sure, just offer it a pre-killed cricket or roach.

Frosteasu

Arachnopeon
From that pic i couldn't tell. Is it refusing food? Is the skin on the rump shiny?
It is shiny black like when my b.verdezi was in pre molt so I thought it might be in pre molt too, how long should premolt last for a sling?
Well, the picture is not that great. And for GBB's, it is hard to tell if they are in pre molt or not. My suggestion is if you don't know it for sure, just offer it a pre-killed cricket or roach.
Would a pre killed mealworm work?

Thanks everyone for helping me xD

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A small hide or some sticks to attach webbing to wouldn't be a bad idea.
Probably premolt if it's not eating, always crush the mealworms head before feeding. Mealworms have been known to kill and eat young tarantulas.
I feed nearly exclusively mealworms to my young spiders, it's not a issue if you're careful to prekill it.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
By the sound of things your T is in pre - moult, once it has moulted wait 1 week before offering any prey items, that way you know for sure the exoskeleton has hardened and the T is ready to eat.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi new here first post I was just wondering if my new gbb sling was in pre molt?
It's about 1inch so could I feed it mealworms? :eek:

This picture is too small. Did you actually critically look at the image before posting it to see if people would be able to make out details?

Frosteasu

Arachnopeon
This picture is too small. Did you actually critically look at the image before posting it to see if people would be able to make out details?
It was clearer on my phone I think the resolution went down I'll try and take another pic

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi new here first post I was just wondering if my new gbb sling was in pre molt?
It's about 1inch so could I feed it mealworms? :eek:
Hard to tell from the image posted, but the behavior sounds right. Offer pre-killed so that it won't be at risk if it does molt.

Once it has, you need to provide it a hide and some items to attached webbing too.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Looks like PreMolt to me. I'd quit feeding her for a couple weeks, maybe offer a cricket leg after one week but other than that, I'd just give her water and let her be. My GBB went through two weeks of PreMolt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is this a more visible picture?
That's perfect! What did you do different?

That T is healthy looking, PLUMP. Molt will occur at SOME point. No one can tell you. GBBs have a great appetite. All you do is wait and keep water available.

Frosteasu

Arachnopeon
That's perfect! What did you do different?:/
Used my moms phone has a higher megapixel than mine (I'm not sure if that's right but)
I'm a bit worried on not feeding her/him cause I don't want her/him to starve I will offer a pre killed mealworm thanks everyone!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Used my moms phone has a higher megapixel than mine (I'm not sure if that's right but)
I'm a bit worried on not feeding her/him cause I don't want her/him to starve I will offer a pre killed mealworm thanks everyone!
There's NO need to worry, watch the size of the abdomen, that's your clue to whether your T is hungry or not, and definitely whether it's hydrated or not.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't want her/him to starve
That would probably take that t a year to starve to death for a plump t (provided it didn't molt). Even at that size, if your t went 5 months before molting it wouldn't be a concern.

Frosteasu

Arachnopeon
I accidentally overfilled the water dish so i added substrate to cover the water that filled over since I know they like it bone dry, but I'm still unsure I did the right thing. Is there too much humidity from the water spilling onto the coco fiber? Should I replace all of the coco fiber? I sucked up most of the water and covered it with substrate but I'm still afraid that there might be to much humidity since I hear that humidity can kill slings. Is a little water spilling over fine? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't ant my first sling too die :( Thanks in advanced