Is my enclosure ventilated enough for an A. avicularia?

botnerdlen

Arachnopeon
I went to an expo this weekend and picked up a gbb. That was planned and I have had his enclosure ready. I wasn’t ready to be talked into getting a A. avicularia. I threw this together and am planning on ordering a taller enclosure on Friday. I’ve read about them not liking stuffy enclosures and I don’t want it to die before I get my order . is this going to be alright for him? Would rather be safe than sorry!

E15DE15C-31EB-4142-9966-C63E241ABB01.jpeg 4C1A1030-2C60-4AC1-8984-BA8DCCD20C44.jpeg

Also attaching the enclosure that he was sold to me in
8BA05ED4-D759-41C7-82CF-C9E40F4EBD44.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Wow, that is an obese A. avic for sure so I wouldn't recommend feeding it for now. For a temporary set-up it'll probably work until Friday. I'd probably add some more ventilation on the side and also add some onto the top on the lid but that's your call since it's only a temporary enclosure.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
That is an arboreal, which calls for more height than width.

Ample cross ventilation is ideal :cool:

Also a lot smaller of an enclosure, like a a lot

Craven

Arachnopeon
That is an arboreal, which calls for more height than width.
Why not both? Judging from most people's arboreal enclosures I've seen, that height should be more than enough for its size. What's the width got to do with the spider? Faster metabolism?

botnerdlen

Arachnopeon
Why not both? Judging from most people's arboreal enclosures I've seen, that height should be more than enough for its size. What's the width got to do with the spider? Faster metabolism?
While you may be right, I’d like to give it more room going up anyways. Also I don’t want a top opening lid in case it starts to web up there and I gotta break it to feed him. I’m going to get one that opens in the front.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
It's just not necessary and for a spider that size can be overwhelming.

entomologic

Arachnopeon
It's just not necessary and for a spider that size can be overwhelming.
Also increased width gives prey more places to hide and lowers the chance the T will find it.

Also I don’t want a top opening lid in case it starts to web up there and I gotta break it to feed him.
I had this same worry but have found it's not been a problem as long as I don't put the cork bark right up to the top and give plenty of anchor points a few inches below the top. It can be nice to be able to get directly to them as aviculara tend hang out at the top of their hammock (Or in tunnels near the top) and rarely come down. Nothing wrong with side opening though and easier to get to the boluses they chuck off their webs.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I had this same worry but have found it's not been a problem as long as I don't put the cork bark right up to the top and give plenty of anchor points a few inches below the top.
This is what I do as well and it usually does the trick