Is my chromatopelma cyaneopubescens in pre molt?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This species is notoriously difficult to determine premolt due to their coloration. A potato picture doesn't really help, either ;) It is plenty fat enough though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Signs to look for:
-Refusing food (#1 indicator!)
-Resting in strange positions
-Lethargy
-Closing off burrow/hide
-Increased webbing

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, I always love to see 'chubby' GBB's (mostly in the first pic). Anyway I've seen here someone even more fatty :-s

As EulersK said, since those are greedy eaters, like 'genics', it's when they refuse food that you can't go wrong as a first warning.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
exo tera dont work well for terrestrials. ditch the hydrometer too.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This species is notoriously difficult to determine premolt due to their coloration. A potato picture doesn't really help, either ;) It is plenty fat enough though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Signs to look for:
-Refusing food (#1 indicator!)
-Resting in strange positions
-Lethargy
-Closing off burrow/hide
-Increased webbing
Exactly as EulersK said.

My gal is about to pop any moment and doesnt look much different from yours.

image.jpeg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens have arboreal tendencies so a semi-arboreal setup should be fine for them.

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
How long does this premolt period last? Mine's been refusing food several weeks now and barely bothers to move.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How long does this premolt period last? Mine's been refusing food several weeks now and barely bothers to move.
This is an old thread. Is yours the same species? Premolt can last weeks or months or years, depending on species and other factors. Provide more information and pictures for a more accurate response.

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
Yes it's a GBB which is why I came to this page looking for answers. She started by blocking herself inside bark, but I had to rehouse her so she's occupied one corner of the enclosure. Been off food for 3 weeks. She hasn't molted since I got her back on October 12th, and I have no idea when she molted prior to that date. She's about 8-9cm leg span, just sits in the corner & rarely ever moves. She's been a voracious eater and an active spider before this. Overall, I suspect premolt but idk how long this process lasts for a T her size n age. My other Ts are just slings so they molt quite regularly.

Attachments