Is my Chilean rose sick?

Krazykoize

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I have a Chilean rose hair tarantula and she's about seven years old. She was a boyfriend's and I got stuck with her, so I resorted to forums to taking care of her. Anyway she's molted twice in the timeframe I've had her. Sometimes she doesn't eat at all and I hardly ever see her by the water dish anymore. Lately she's been in the corner of her cage and has been like this for a while. She doesn't move very much but it's always on the same small patch when she does. Does anyone know if she's sick? I'm a little worried.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Please post pictures of spider and enclosure. That way people will be more able to help you :)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Also part of me doesn't want to be that guy, but unless I'm misunderstanding what species you have, this is the wrong subforum for you. You'll have much more luck if you try a tarantula forum.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Rosies (Grammostola in general) are nut jobs. Your spider is almost 100% fine. I'd be more concerned if it wasn't acting abnormal!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Wow now I feel like an idiot. I probably clicked on the wrong thing without looking. :banghead:

I'll head out quietly now.

Krazykoize

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I have a Chilean rose hair tarantula and she's about seven years old. She was a boyfriend's and I got stuck with her, so I resorted to forums to taking care of her. Anyway she's molted twice in the timeframe I've had her. Sometimes she doesn't eat at all and I hardly ever see her by the water dish anymore. Lately she's been in the corner of her cage and has been like this for a while. She doesn't move very much but it's always on the same small patch when she does. Does anyone know if she's sick? I'm a little worried.

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The t itself is fine. The enclosure is too tall, it can get hurt in a fall. If it has a screen lid, it would be best to replace it. Get it an appropriate hide if it doesn't have one. Those egg cartons aren't helping anything. Try to use substrate with less wood chunks.

boina

Lady of the mites
Weeeelll, what people are trying to say is that you could make things more comfortable for your rosie.

1. When your T starts to climb those walls (and it may decide to do so at any time even if it hasn't before) it may fall. Tarantulas abdomes are actually very fragile and a fall can easily rupture the abdomen which will invariably result in a dead T.

2. That substrate is a rather harsh environment. Your T would much prefer some softer stuff like eco earth or top soil it can actually dig in and won't scrape it's abdomen if it gets fatter in premolt. A little more soft substrate would give your T a chance to dig a bit if it wants and will take care of point 1.

3. Does it have a proper hide? Meaning something heavy enough for it to hide under and feel safe, like cork bark or a learger piece of wood. That egg crates will do nothing for it, because a tarantulas main sense is touch. Something light weight to be moved around at will will not make it feel safe.

4. Your T itself looks fine, except that does look a bit like a stress position, knees drawn up and such... see points 1 to 3.

And good of you to take care of your Ex's T!

Krazykoize

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much everyone! The egg cartons are from crickets that I've put in there. Sometimes the people at petco would give me those along with the dinner. Thank you all so much!!!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you so much everyone! The egg cartons are from crickets that I've put in there. Sometimes the people at petco would give me those along with the dinner. Thank you all so much!!!
Follow the advice of others in this thread to correct the enclosure and the lid for your G. porteri.

On the note of crickets: a cricket should not be in the enclosure long enough to require anything to hide in. If the spider does not eat a cricket in the enclosure after a few hours then it should be removed.

On the note of your enclosure: set it up like this. Eco Earth or (safe) top soil substrate, a hide, water dish (I use disposable 2oz souffle cups), and that is all it needs. Also ensure that there is not a huge distance between the substrate and the top so if (when) it climbs it will not fall and get injured or die.
Here is my G. porteri set up. Mimic this and you are golden.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
how many crickets are you giving her?