Is my B. smithii really B. boehmii?

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know, you need pictures. But my camera is in hiding, and has been for several months. So I will try to describe.

I got this T about a year ago, as a pink sling. The first molt after arrival went into color, making it a juvie.

It has molted 5 times in the past year, with only tiny increases in size till last week, that time it went from 1.5 inches to a little over 2 inches.

The abdomen is black with black hair. The carapace is orangey brown with just a smudge of black in the area of the eyes. The femurs are black, and the feet are black, but the entire rest of the legs are red/ orange. There is no black at all between the femurs and the feet.

Does anyone know if this is a juvenile coloration, and the stripey black and red legs will emerge in a few years?

I like this critter, I wanted a boehmii, but the seller convinced me a smithii would be a better choice (I forget the reasons now). Anyway, if its not a smithii, I still want one, so that would be my next T.

Any information out there?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Based on what you said (and a picture would be better) you don't have a Smithi, you have a boehmei.
5 molts in the last year and it's only 2" really? Wow slow grower! And if you still want a Smithi I have a few..............hundered {D

Last edited:

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm having a hard time visualizing right now, but it sounds like it could also be an emilia. Someone who has already had a full cup of coffee help out here....

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nevermind, if it's just the feet and femur that are black, it's boemei.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... Does anyone know if this is a juvenile coloration, and the stripey black and red legs will emerge in a few years? ...
Hints of the orange and yellow markings appear on smithis by the time they're about 1/2" leg span. By the time they're 2" they look like miniature adults. At 2", if yours doesn't have brilliant orange and yellow epaulets "it ain't no smithi."

... I wanted a boehmii, but the seller convinced me a smithii would be a better choice (I forget the reasons now). ...
Smithis are very long lived tarantulas. The females may live 30 years or more. Maybe much, Much MUCH more. They're also very laid back, pet rock type tarantulas. While they're bristle flickers if they aren't accustomed to human touch, they settle right down with a minimal amount of handling. They also reach pretty respectable sizes. We've had several with 8" leg spans. They are colored very handsomly.

Boehmeis, on the other hand, don't live quite so long, about the average lifespan for a tarantula (10 to 20 or a little more years for the females). They also tend to be a little jumpy. I was never able to get any of ours to become as laid back as a smithi. Mine ALWAYS flicked bristles, even after weeks of handling. Lastly, they tend to be only average sized tarantulas, about like a Chilean rose. They're real call to fame is their color. They're gorgeous!

As with almost all (or all) Brachypelma, both species tend to have very irritating bristles. If you thought you might be seriously allergic to the urticating bristles I'd recommend handling someone else's a couple times before investing in either of these species.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you!

I have no desire to handle my T's, just like to look at them. SO, I like bright colors and patterns.

SugrSean

Arachnopeon
I'm having a hard time visualizing right now, but it sounds like it could also be an emilia. Someone who has already had a full cup of coffee help out here....
I've got an emilia that's about 1-1.5" and she (wishful thinking) is already showing some faint red on her legs. But, I haven't had any coffee either, so I'm jumping on the boehmii bandwagon;)

Edit: Oops, maybe I should read through a whole thread prior to opening my big mouth:worship: