Is my avicularia versicolor in premolt or...?

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I just bought my first tarantula about two weeks ago, she was already 2". The owner said she hasnt eaten in a week, so that totals out to 3 weeks since shes eaten.
She has 2 rooms in the tube tunnel, one skinny, more tube like room and a large room, shes usually in the small side but the last 3 days shes moved into the larger side. She just hangs sideways with he abdomen hanging (scares me sometimes because it looks like shes too weak to hold the abdomen up.)

She's only drank water once the whole time i've had her. And doesn't move much. I also noticed she put some whispey webbing at the end of all the entrances except one, she likes to stick her bum out and poop from that hole.

For not eating or drinking much, she seems really fat still, like a big juicy grape.

I reseached the info and I believe its premolt, I just need a 2nd opinion. If so, how much longer do you guys think it will be until the actual molt day(just an estimate)?

Temp: 70-74
Humidity: 60-70%

The last owner said its been a couple months since her last molt.
20170126_130647.jpg 20170126_130541.jpg 20170126_130347.jpg 20170126_130053.jpg 20170126_130014.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
yeah, looks premolt. leave her be with a full water dish till she molts, than leave her alone for a week before trying to feed.

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
yeah, looks premolt. leave her be with a full water dish till she molts, than leave her alone for a week before trying to feed.
Dang your versi is so beautiful!! Okay I've had a water dish in there for about a week now, she doesnt drink from it, but its good for the humidity
. Should i still put a water droplet in her web every couple days?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Dang your versi is so beautiful!! Okay I've had a water dish in there for about a week now, she doesnt drink from it, but its good for the humidity

. Should i still put a water droplet in her web every couple days?
if you mean the spider in my profile pic, its not a versicolor, its a A braunshauseni. one of the larger avics.
alot of people read stuff online about how Avics need high humidity and than try to follow those care sheets, they usually end up with a dead spider. avics should be kept on dry sub, even as slings, with a water dish. i wouldnt really bother, maybe mist once a week..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It is storing fluids to promote the growth after a molt. Most slings look like they are about to burst in premolt, it gets less obvious as they grow to adult.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Do you think shes too fat? It literally looks like she is going to pop, her skin is all shiney from being stretched out haha
Well, that is definetely a premolt Avic. I don't think i've seen them this euhm...big :D
Yes, putting drops of water on her web is a smart thing to do, especially when just molted. Avicularia sp. don't always come down to drink after molting.
You're dead on with your assumption, her abdomen is actually stretching because of the new exoskeleton and fluids that are forming beneath her old exoskeleton. :)

Welcome to the hobby and the boards! :)

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
if you mean the spider in my profile pic, its not a versicolor, its a A braunshauseni. one of the larger avics.
alot of people read stuff online about how Avics need high humidity and than try to follow those care sheets, they usually end up with a dead spider. avics should be kept on dry sub, even as slings, with a water dish. i wouldnt really bother, maybe mist once a week..
Oooo I see, I love learning about new Ts, its beautiful none the less!! And yeah, Ive read a lot of contraditing articles on the versi environment. I dont know whats right anymore. She has damp substrate a little water dish and i sprayed her wall today but it dried up in like 2 hours, I think that means good ventilation. She seems happy atm, so i will let it be. Hopefully i can show you guys pics if she molts within the next couple weeks

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
Well, that is definetely a premolt Avic. I don't think i've seen them this euhm...big :D
Yes, putting drops of water on her web is a smart thing to do, especially when just molted. Avicularia sp. don't always come down to drink after molting.
You're dead on with your assumption, her abdomen is actually stretching because of the new exoskeleton and fluids that are forming beneath her old exoskeleton. :)

Welcome to the hobby and the boards! :)
Thank you!! And yes she(i hope) is quite a chubby one haha. I love her already!! My boyfriend thinks im crazy for watching her do nothing for 15 minutes haha.
So I should give her water drops AFTER she molts

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you!! And yes she(i hope) is quite a chubby one haha. I love her already!! My boyfriend thinks im crazy for watching her do nothing for 15 minutes haha.
You can also give her drops now, only make sure you don't disturb her when she is molting.

If you're interested in further (and correct) info, link below contains pretty much everything you need to know about Avicularia husbandry. Please keep away from petshop or caresheet advice, there is a lot of bad advice on the internet.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Edit: oh, and tell your boyfriend 15 minutes is NOTHING :D. If given the chance, I can stare at my invertsall evening. Better than tv, and strangely soothing and relaxing. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Oooo I see, I love learning about new Ts, its beautiful none the less!! And yeah, Ive read a lot of contraditing articles on the versi environment. I dont know whats right anymore. She has damp substrate a little water dish and i sprayed her wall today but it dried up in like 2 hours, I think that means good ventilation. She seems happy atm, so i will let it be. Hopefully i can show you guys pics if she molts within the next couple weeks
this may sound a little snobbish, but 99.9% of tarantula care out there is crap, the only place i trust is arachnoboards. everything you care to know is here.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
She looks like a beauty.

Also, while it is okay that she eats now (or at least you can continue to try), don't feed her for several days (up to a week) after molt. Fangs will turn dark when she is able to eat again.

Out of curiosity, what is the tape or material on top of the enclosure about?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Lol, I find it funny that anyone would try or want to feed a t that fat...that's without a doubt the fattest avic I have ever seen. I would let the sub dry up and not worry about spraying for a while...its just a waiting game, could be tonight, could be in a month. Its gonna look fantastic afterward.

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
It is storing fluids to promote the growth after a molt. Most slings look like they are about to burst in premolt, it gets less obvious as they grow to adult.
When is she not a sling anymore? Shes already 2"
She looks like a beauty.

Also, while it is okay that she eats now (or at least you can continue to try), don't feed her for several days (up to a week) after molt. Fangs will turn dark when she is able to eat again.

Out of curiosity, what is the tape or material on top of the enclosure about?
The guy i got her from used that to holt a plant thats hanging from the top, she webbed all around the plant so maybe i can take it off? I just dont want the plant to fall.

I hope she grows up to be as pretty as yours

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
Lol, I find it funny that anyone would try or want to feed a t that fat...that's without a doubt the fattest avic I have ever seen. I would let the sub dry up and not worry about spraying for a while...its just a waiting game, could be tonight, could be in a month. Its gonna look fantastic afterward.
Shes so fat right!! I got her like that. She hasnt eaten in 3 weeks though

cold blood

Staff member
Shes so fat right!! I got her like that. She hasnt eaten in 3 weeks though
I've got some avics that haven't eaten in 6 weeks and theyre not nearly as fat...nor are they pre-molt....healthy ts can go long periods between meals...crazy long periods.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The guy i got her from used that to holt a plant thats hanging from the top, she webbed all around the plant so maybe i can take it off? I just dont want the plant to fall.
Okay. It is fine. There is no need to remove it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't covering a hole that you might use for feeding. A few people have done that before only to find their T gone at some point after the T chewed through it.

It will be interesting to see what size your girl becomes after the molt. She definitely looks healthy and ready.

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
Okay. It is fine. There is no need to remove it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't covering a hole that you might use for feeding. A few people have done that before only to find their T gone at some point after the T chewed through it.

It will be interesting to see what size your girl becomes after the molt. She definitely looks healthy and ready.
I will post a photo after she molts for sure!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some Avics will drink from their bowl= no issues.

Some will, but stop for some reasons- problem

Some never will, problematic.

Particularly after a molt, not all Avics come down from their canopy to drink, IME most of mine never did, as observed by their small abdomen. At this juncture of behavior it is prudent to provide drops of water by the T on the canopy, I use a blunt tipped syringe to add the water. If there's enough webbing, the water may pool up and serve as a temporary bowl for the post-molt.