Is my avicularia versicolor in premolt or...?

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
So she began molting and finished in about 40 minutes, she came out completely but never streched out. I think she is almost dead, I am so so sad..... looks like death curl to me. I haven't had her for even a month, gonna cry now :( 20170129_013541.jpg 20170129_013458.jpg 20170129_013642.jpg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
No no no no! Your Avic just needs some time to catch her breath before stretching out! It is normal how she is lying in the last pic!
Don't touch her!
Really?? I hope so, shes flipped right side up now but legs are still curled under her body. Im going to bed soon, but hopefully she will but up walking in the morning, fingers crossed! Her legs are hairy pink and purple, not blue anymore. If all goes well i will be able to take photos for you guys in a few days

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
The area she molted in was big before, but she looks pretty cramped in there now hehe. Maybe its time for her permenant enclosure. I have a 12x12x18 exoterra with side doors but the top is mesh, not sure if that would work for her. I may just use it for my mantis if thats not a good fit.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So she began molting and finished in about 40 minutes, she came out completely but never streched out. I think she is almost dead, I am so so sad..... looks like death curl to me.
It's perfectly normal for the tarantulas' legs to be bunched up for a while after molting. The hardest part is over. As long as she has space to stretch out, she'll be fine.

Skip to 4:10 in this time-lapse video if you want to see what a tarantula does in the moments after it finally extracts its legs from its old exoskeleton (rest, stretch, and flip).

The area she molted in was big before, but she looks pretty cramped in there now hehe. Maybe its time for her permenant enclosure. I have a 12x12x18 exoterra with side doors but the top is mesh, not sure if that would work for her.
That's a little more space than an Avic really needs, but it's not a problem as long as the cage has the proper furnishings (a cork hide, leaves for webbing, and a water dish). Be sure to replace or cover the screen lid so that she can't get her claws or feet stuck in the mesh. (Tarantulas can break their fangs or amputate limbs when stuck, and they've also been known to fall while trying to free themselves.)

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
It's perfectly normal for the tarantulas' legs to be bunched up for a while after molting. The hardest part is over. As long as she has space to stretch out, she'll be fine.

Skip to 4:10 in this time-lapse video if you want to see what a tarantula does in the moments after it finally extracts its legs from its old exoskeleton (rest, stretch, and flip).

That's a little more space than an Avic really needs, but it's not a problem as long as the cage has the proper furnishings (a cork hide, leaves for webbing, and a water dish). Be sure to replace or cover the screen lid so that she can't get her claws or feet stuck in the mesh. (Tarantulas can break their fangs or amputate limbs when stuck, and they've also been known to fall while trying to free themselves.)
She does look like that except shes flipped over in like 5 minutes, im probably just too worried, we will see in the morning. Okay i will take you advice ill get her something smaller for now, what would be a good step above a 32oz deli( shes in a acrylic container; similar size) but not quite as big as my exo terra?

I will apologize in advance for all the questions to come, i just want to give her(or he) the best :3

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a 12x12x18 exoterra with side doors but the top is mesh
d

You can hot glue a thin piece of acrylic under the screen itself w/out removing the screen, OR remove the lid and just add acrylic square w/vent holes. It's not rocket science at all. Do the right thing for your cherished pet and protect it, why take a chance.

All pics you showed are normal for Avics.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The area she molted in was big before, but she looks pretty cramped in there now hehe. Maybe its time for her permenant enclosure. I have a 12x12x18 exoterra with side doors but the top is mesh, not sure if that would work for her. I may just use it for my mantis if thats not a good fit.
Others can advise better about exoterra as I haven't owned one, but you may be able to modify it so that the mesh is gone or covered (hidden from T). Some individuals have bought acrylic or polycarbonate sheet and attached it to assorted enclosures. I will let others advise you better on this particular enclosure.

You may also be able to buy a clear plastic jar from the grocery store, Walmart, etc. for conversion. I recently bought a jug of cheese balls from Walmart. I threw away all of the contents and have removed all of the labels, etc. I am looking at whether it will work for one of my arboreal tarantulas at some point. Some individuals don't like top openings for Avic's though so personal choice comes into play.

There are vendors like Jamie's tarantulas that have high quality large size enclosures already set up with a side door, but you need to be prepared to spend $85 - $105 depending on whether you also buy the internal items. I have bought a few of them. They work great, but are not a good economical choice when you are going to need multiple of them.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay i will take you advice ill get her something smaller for now, what would be a good step above a 32oz deli( shes in a acrylic container; similar size) but not quite as big as my exo terra?
How big is the Avic? If you already have the Exo Terra, and she's close to her adult size, and you intend to use that as her adult enclosure, it might be best just to move her into that. The important thing is to be sure there are adequate cage furnishings (for hiding and webbing) and ventilation.

Otherwise, just about any clear container that is taller than it is wide will work. Plastic has the advantage that it can be drilled to provide just the level of ventilation you want. I prefer front-opening containers for Avics, as it makes maintenance and feeding easier in a tall container.

You can get some ideas by Googling arachnoboards.com for DIY arboreal enclosure or container.

Others can advise better about exoterra as I haven't owned one, but you may be able to modify it so that the mesh is gone or covered (hidden from T). Some individuals have bought acrylic or polycarbonate sheet and attached it to assorted enclosures. I will let others advise you better on this particular enclosure.
One initially-temporary measure I took that worked out really well was to drape a thin sheet of cotton beneath the screen. Before I did this, my Avics would occasionally climb onto the screen, and I worried that their claws would get stuck and/or that they would fall.

However, the sheet has effectively discouraged them climbing on the ceiling. I saw Skyler (the juvenile) try to climb onto the sheet once. She seemed to immediately realize that she didn't have secure footing and moved back to the glass.

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
Im thinking about buying acrylic and making my own custom terrerium, pre made ones are pricey! Also just and update, she is moving around and being cute but not much space to stretch out. She is well i put some water droplettes in there earlier

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
One initially-temporary measure I took that worked out really well was to drape a thin sheet of cotton beneath the screen. Before I did this, my Avics would occasionally climb onto the screen, and I worried that their claws would get stuck and/or that they would fall.

However, the sheet has effectively discouraged them climbing on the ceiling. I saw Skyler (the juvenile) try to climb onto the sheet once. She seemed to immediately realize that she didn't have secure footing and moved back to the glass.
So weird that they can hang on to glass perfectly but not cloth hahaha

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So weird that they can hang on to glass perfectly but not cloth hahaha
I'm sure she could hold onto cloth if she was really determined, but I could tell that she didn't feel secure when she tried, and in the years since I added the cloth, I have never seen her attempt a second ceiling climb. She'll climb other things, but when she gets to the top, she touches the cloth with her foot and goes no farther.

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
How big is the Avic? If you already have the Exo Terra, and she's close to her adult size, and you intend to use that as her adult enclosure, it might be best just to move her into that. The important thing is to be sure there are adequate cage furnishings (for hiding and webbing) and ventilation.
She's probably about 2.5-3" not quite close to being an adult yet. Im looking to do a 6x6x9 size. Her current container is 4x4x7.5"

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
lids a little smaller than what i like.. 1 gallon plastic jars from walmart are perfect, the lids much wider too. if you have to use that, make sure to hot glue the dish somewhere high up near the top. itll be a real pain in the ass to refill and clean out the dish if its on the bottom and the whole tanks webbed up.

amyvsamy

Arachnopeon
lids a little smaller than what i like.. 1 gallon plastic jars from walmart are perfect, the lids much wider too. if you have to use that, make sure to hot glue the dish somewhere high up near the top. itll be a real pain in the ass to refill and clean out the dish if its on the bottom and the whole tanks webbed up.
Hmm...maybe i should just return these cheesy balls than and go back to the diy terrerium plan. Here are photos of her skin, i had to reopen one of the holes to get it out, but now she has much more space in there to stretch out 20170129_211313.jpg 20170129_211224.jpg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good to read she's doing well!
You could use that container, but you would need to invert it so the lid is the floorspace, and attach the branches and bark with hot glue to the bottom which will be the top.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
So..... i bought it. This will be her new home :p
That one does have a slightly narrower lid than the one which is available online and at my local Walmart. But this one is also much bigger than the dimensions you mentioned of 6x6x9. Some people don't like to use the over sized enclosures, but for me I like it since quite often the cork bark eats up a huge amount of space anyway.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/37319722...75035&wl11=online&wl12=37319722&wl13=&veh=sem

If you are have the tools and feel comfortable in modifying a plastic box @trenor did a mod of a box which would be close to the desired dimensions you want. Note that the plastic on these boxes is the rigid type (not the soft type like Sterilite/Rubbermaid).

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/enclosure-making-time.289632/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KP005KE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1