Is my avic mature?

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,

I've only been keeping tarantulas for about a year, so please excuse my inexperience. I am sure this avic is a IM because of its bulbous pedipalps and tibial hooks. However, is it mature yet? I'm not sure if its making sperm webs because I don't really know how to tell them. It's around 3.75 - 4 inches legspan at its longest point. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your specimen is indeed a mature male. Immature males do not possess tibial apophysis or palpal bulbs.

You may not see sperm webs/remains because they tend to be torn down soon after they fulfill their purpose. The remains are often eclipsed by the rest of the webbing.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Wow, I did not know he would mature out that fast. He just molted about 2 weeks ago, and did not accept food. Is this normal?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Searching should help answer these questions.

What do you mean by 'mature out that fast'?

It's a general rule to wait 2 weeks before offering a freshly molted tarantula prey. This gives them time to harden up first.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
I meant that I thought that a fully mature male A. Avic would be a little larger than he is right now. Thanks, I'll see if the searches bring anything up.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah, I see.

Sometimes you get runt males. He might be a bit on the small side, but A. avicularia don't typically get larger than around 4" anyway.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for your input Xhedx. From the picture of it compared to my hand, it's obviously not too big. I'll probably put up a FL ad soon to see if my little guy can get the job done.