Is my Amblypygi okay?

silverfish

Arachnopeon
I recently adopted a tailless whip scorpion last week, and all it’s been doing is hiding. For awhile it was hanging on a piece of bark in its enclosure, but now it’s discovered a log that I gave it, and it’s been just sitting in there for about two days. It’s moved around in the log, but has remained inside. At night when I go to bed (around 2 AM) it’s still sitting in there. I don’t know if it’s happy or not. When I asked a worker at the exotics shop what species it was, he didn’t know but said it was “going to be one of the larger ones” (I’m assuming Damon diadema? It has the correct body markings) I understand that these guys aren’t going to be as active as an anole, but is there a way I can make sure it’s really content? Should I remove the log home and put more bark for it to climb and sit? Replies appreciated, this is my first time with an Amblypygi, please don’t be rude... I’m not going to handle it at all, just looking for some explanations & advice
2BF32040-60A6-4D3D-A8C0-F76D581BC3B2.jpeg

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any inclined surface that they can cling to will make a good hide for them. If you want to see it more often, I suggest removing the log if it ever leaves. Amblypgyi are extremely inactive, most of mine chill in one spot for days at a time. If you want an accurate ID you’ll probably need a better photo, but if it came from a pet shop it’s most likely Damon diadema or medius. If I remember correctly those are the two primary species in the US hobby at the moment.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Any inclined surface that they can cling to will make a good hide for them. If you want to see it more often, I suggest removing the log if it ever leaves. Amblypgyi are extremely inactive, most of mine chill in one spot for days at a time. If you want an accurate ID you’ll probably need a better photo, but if it came from a pet shop it’s most likely Damon diadema or medius. If I remember correctly those are the two primary species in the US hobby at the moment.
Probably medius, diadema exports have been very curtailed.

My Heterophrynus batesii was actually very active at night when conditions were warm and humid, but I needed a red light to see it. These guys aren't likely to be active if you have a white light on. I don't know how much of that applies to Damon.

silverfish

Arachnopeon
Probably medius, diadema exports have been very curtailed.

My Heterophrynus batesii was actually very active at night when conditions were warm and humid, but I needed a red light to see it. These guys aren't likely to be active if you have a white light on. I don't know how much of that applies to Damon.
Here is a photo of them (I have more if needed)
Damon medius seems more likely now that you mention it. I'm not familiar with Amblypygi species.
When I adopted it last week, I noticed it was missing one of it's "feelers" (antenniform leg) and a segment of it's back leg. It can still move, but it hobbles when it takes big steps. I'm hoping that will be solved during the next molt (whenever that is...) I have no idea what happened to it previously, or where it exactly came from. I just purchased it from a local exotics pet shop. Maybe it's scared to move around much. The first night I got it, it was pretty active in exploring it's new (and much larger) enclosure

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's also a settling in period of sorts, so it'll go where it feels safest until it feels calmer. Since this was likely WC, it had quite the trip before it got to you. Agreed with giving it more vertical things to climb on/hide behind.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Vertical surfaces are *critical* for all amblypygi species - they cannot moult without a vertical or near-vertical surface to hang from, with lots of space underneath. As a pet store purchase, this is most likely Damon medius. If it was wild-caught (likely), it will need a very moist environment and as little disturbance as possible while it settles in. It will regrow the legs if it survives its next moult. They do tend to drop legs (especially the antenniform legs) under stress, so it's not at all surprising that it's missing one. Keep it moist and quiet and dark, offer food once every week or two (depending on the feeder size), and remove if not eaten within a few hours.

silverfish

Arachnopeon
Vertical surfaces are *critical* for all amblypygi species - they cannot moult without a vertical or near-vertical surface to hang from, with lots of space underneath. As a pet store purchase, this is most likely Damon medius. If it was wild-caught (likely), it will need a very moist environment and as little disturbance as possible while it settles in. It will regrow the legs if it survives its next moult. They do tend to drop legs (especially the antenniform legs) under stress, so it's not at all surprising that it's missing one. Keep it moist and quiet and dark, offer food once every week or two (depending on the feeder size), and remove if not eaten within a few hours.
I bought more of a vertical enclosure yesterday afternoon and it seems like it enjoys climbing on the walls now. This amblypygi came from a local exotics pet store, I live in Upstate NY so I'm really curious and somewhat upset that it was wild caught- I'd rather leave animals where they are... I guess the only way for me to find out if it was WC is for me to contact the store probably...