Is my A.metallica in pre molt

Passage500

Arachnopeon
I have an A.metallica, which is my first T in the hobby so sorry if this sounds like an obvious beginner question. So my A.metallica has been acting a little strange in the past couple weeks, my main reasoning for making this post is because he hasn't eatin in about 2 and a half or 3 weeks. I will give him a cricket and he will go for it and bring out his fangs only to let go and back away.he is also webbing up a section behind his piece of wood. He has slowed down a little bit but is still moving pretty regularly. I'm keeping his cage humid and his water dish full. Again sorry for the newb question I'm just not used to all the molting signs yet, thanks!

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I have an A.metallica, which is my first T in the hobby so sorry if this sounds like an obvious beginner question. So my A.metallica has been acting a little strange in the past couple weeks, my main reasoning for making this post is because he hasn't eatin in about 2 and a half or 3 weeks. I will give him a cricket and he will go for it and bring out his fangs only to let go and back away.he is also webbing up a section behind his piece of wood. He has slowed down a little bit but is still moving pretty regularly. I'm keeping his cage humid and his water dish full. Again sorry for the newb question I'm just not used to all the molting signs yet, thanks!
We need pictures to tell accurately. the cage is humid? have you been reading caresheets? Those are a recipe for disaster.

What are the temps like in the room where you keep your spider? lower temps could also cause your T not to eat, as well as other factors.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pictures are needed for more meaningful response, there's simply not enough info provided.

I hate to inform you but the info you provided can only accurately be attributed to "normal T behavior". At most one can say it didn't want to eat, but you already know that, why, who knows.

Simply webbing a section doesn't mean it is going to molt. My A. minatrix webbed up recently, she molted 2 weeks ago.

Ts are often black boxes with 8 legs, it is incumbent upon the owner to provide as much info as possible about their cherished pet in order to get a meaningful response. Even then, one may not get a response to explain what one observed.

Passage500

Arachnopeon
We need pictures to tell accurately. the cage is humid? have you been reading caresheets? Those are a recipe for disaster.
I have read caresheets but I have heard and read information from other places too is high humidity actually bad for an A.metallica? These images are the best I can get for now as he is usually behind that wood

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have read caresheets but I have heard and read information from other places too is high humidity actually bad for an A.metallica? These images are the best I can get for now as he is usually behind that wood
Care sheets kills tarantulas, esp Avics. What's important is mass air exchange. Most people cannot do this well in captivity, so people keep their Avics fairly dry with a water bowl. No spraying, no paying attention to humidity values. We raise and breed Avics just fine.

Moist/stagnant air kills Avics all the time.

Read this. Q's come back here http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Your T looks fine. I've owned this species before.

cold blood

Staff member
Focusing on humidity, especially if you are employing a hygrometer, is indeed a recipe for a dead avic...just search all the dead avic threads from all the people following care sheets that have dead or dying ts.

Dry substrate, water dish, and like viper said, good ventilation is whats needed.

It does sound like pre-molt, but as mentioned, its not definitive.