Is my A.Avic in premolt?

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Just tried to feed my A.Avic and he was spooked by the crickets I put by the edge of his tunnel so he left (crickets are out of his tunnel now) and decided to walk over to the water and drink! I’ve been trying to get a good look at him but he’s usually curled up against the glass and now that I can finally see him fully out he’s looking kind of plump, does he look like he’s in premolt? Sorry for bad quality.

Attachments

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I have three Avics who have been pretty good eaters so far. But two right now are refusing food, which tells me its premolt since its out of character for them to refuse food. They're not looking super plump

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
I have three Avics who have been pretty good eaters so far. But two right now are refusing food, which tells me its premolt since its out of character for them to refuse food. They're not looking super plump
Mine hasn’t eaten since Halloween and refused food for two weeks before that...to think the pet store fed him every day I don’t know how. He’s trying to go back to his tunnel but can’t seem to find the way in? He’s gone back into it before but he keeps going to it turning around and then going slightly on the substrate and so on.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
How long have you had the T?

Looks very plump, and Ts frequently will hydrate prior to molting, so it's quite possibly in premolt/going to molt very soon.

Can you please upload a full picture of the entire enclosure? It might just be the angle, but that enclosure looks rather barren for an Avic, and you mentioning that it's usually "scrunched up against the glass" could be a sign of stress. Ts are little agoraphobes.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
How long have you had the T?

Looks very plump, and Ts frequently will hydrate prior to molting, so it's quite possibly in premolt/going to molt very soon.

Can you please upload a full picture of the entire enclosure? It might just be the angle, but that enclosure looks rather barren for an Avic, and you mentioning that it's usually "scrunched up against the glass" could be a sign of stress. Ts are little agoraphobes.
This is his enclosure as of now. I plan on switching to a tall exo terra nano as it’s more suited for A.Avics after the first molt. I’ve had him for about a month now, I say him but I actually don’t know the sex haha.

Little update he actually has straight up abandoned his old web and has started a new one behind the cork hide which I think is much better suited for him.

E1ADF8B1-C162-4DE8-BEFA-33D157E50739.jpeg Here’s his enclosure:

Last edited by a moderator:

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Little update he actually has straight up abandoned his old web and has started a new one behind the cork hide which I think is much better suited for him.
One of mine is doing the same, behind the cock piece on the left. Has a web tube that he lives in and makes it easy to feed by just throwing crickets in there. He had not started the web when this pic was taken

This is one of the ones who isnt eating right now

Attachments

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
One of mine is doing the same, behind the cock piece on the left. Has a web tube that he lives in and makes it easy to feed by just throwing crickets in there. He had not started the web when this pic was taken

This is one of the ones who isnt eating right now
He’s chilling here, sucks that I can’t see him anymore without turning the tank but whatever makes him happy.

Attachments

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
My Avics always act very similarly when they're in premolt. The drink and drink and drink and get spooked by prey items. As for the enclosure, make sure for your new one that it has plenty of cross (side) ventilation and no screen top.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
My Avics always act very similarly when they're in premolt. The drink and drink and drink and get spooked by prey items. As for the enclosure, make sure for your new one that it has plenty of cross (side) ventilation and no screen top.
Plan on getting an exo terra nano. He was actually on the screen top last night and I nudged him to the other side of the tank so he wouldn’t get stuck. Hes begun making a new web in the hide at the very back. I’m just worried he won’t be able to get out to get water as he seemed to struggle a bit with getting around that plant, there is a gap between the hide and the wall so he can always get out through the side but I don’t know.

He didn’t drink until the cricket scared him out of the burrow. Should I move the bowl closer to where he is now? I know I sound weird but this is my first T and I’m very anxious that I may be doing something wrong.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Plan on getting an exo terra nano. He was actually on the screen top last night and I nudged him to the other side of the tank so he wouldn’t get stuck. Hes begun making a new web in the hide at the very back. I’m just worried he won’t be able to get out to get water as he seemed to struggle a bit with getting around that plant, there is a gap between the hide and the wall so he can always get out through the side but I don’t know.

He didn’t drink until the cricket scared him out of the burrow. Should I move the bowl closer to where he is now? I know I sound weird but this is my first T and I’m very anxious that I may be doing something wrong.
They're pretty agile and maneuverable spiders, so I wouldn't worry about the placement of the water dish. If your spooder has already been seen on the screen, I'd be far more concerned about that.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
They're pretty agile and maneuverable spiders, so I wouldn't worry about the placement of the water dish. If your spooder has already been seen on the screen, I'd be far more concerned about that.
Yeah I woke up in the middle of the night and saw it! That’s the first time I’ve seen him on it as he’s typically pretty settled and the only time I see him move is to switch positions. Is there anyway I can prevent it for now? I can’t afford to replace the mesh right now and as for his new enclosure I really want to wait until he molts and get the new enclosure at the expo I’m going to in January.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Yeah I woke up in the middle of the night and saw it! That’s the first time I’ve seen him on it as he’s typically pretty settled and the only time I see him move is to switch positions. Is there anyway I can prevent it for now? I can’t afford to replace the mesh right now and as for his new enclosure I really want to wait until he molts and get the new enclosure at the expo I’m going to in January.
Hmmm, not really. Any ideas I have would compromise any ventilation you already have, ie. Lining the screen with tape or something. If you had side vents, I'd tell you to tape the screen from the inside, but in your case you can't really do that. So I'm not too sure. You could maybe cut a piece of cardboard to size and poke all kinds of holes in it?

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Or a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled, but that wouldn't be as affordable.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Or a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled, but that wouldn't be as affordable.
Plexiglass would probably be the better option but I can’t afford it right now, as for cardboard I’m scared he will escape. For now I’ll have to leave it I sadly. He is sticking to the bottom of the tank luckily as the hide he chose is only about 5 inches.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Plexiglass would probably be the better option but I can’t afford it right now, as for cardboard I’m scared he will escape. For now I’ll have to leave it I sadly. He is sticking to the bottom of the tank luckily as the hide he chose is only about 5 inches.
If it's a thick piece of cardboard a T shouldn't be able to chew through that (nor can I see one trying tbh), but ultimately it's up to you what you do.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
If it's a thick piece of cardboard a T shouldn't be able to chew through that (nor can I see one trying tbh), but ultimately it's up to you what you do.
I think I’m going to keep it as it is for now and then a couple weeks post molt switch him to an exo terra nano.