Is m Heteroscodra maculata too big for the enclosure it's in.

B124

Arachnopeon
So I braved it and got a H. Maculata today! I was wondering if I need to rehouse it, I think it looks too big for the enclosure it's in, I might be wrong it just doesn't look like it's got much room to move. Please can someone tell me if it's an OK size enclosure for the size, I'll add some pictures. Also what's the best substrate for it? Thanks

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
YES -- rehouse! always give fast, OW species more space. :rolleyes:

I owned H mac's before, good luck. I hope you have good OW experience.

B124

Arachnopeon
Also add some ventilation
I didn't set the enclosure up, that's how it came when I got it from the shop. What's more annoying is I also paid extra for the enclosure and set up 🙄 Im going to change the enclosure. Thanks

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I didn't set the enclosure up, that's how it came when I got it from the shop. What's more annoying is I also paid extra for the enclosure and set up 🙄 Im going to change the enclosure. Thanks
Any experience with Ts?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
What's more annoying is I also paid extra for the enclosure and set up
That's unfortunate because besides being too small it's not really set up correctly. As is there's nowhere for them to hide...

In the new set up you're much better off putting a cork bark half round against the side of the enclosure. They will set up camp in there and retreat into it when you approach rather than bolt about looking for cover like it will at the minute

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes.Iv had a few, never a old world though.
This was a really poor decision on your part. Not saying it will die in your hands, nor that you won’t be successful, but all things being equa that species will likely out grow your skill set.

also, why did you buy a T if you don’t even know what substrate to use? Common sense tells one to research an animal’s needs before actually getting it.

Please research this species more than you have or you might get tagged.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No pics so can't say, they're not a particularly big species so an adult female will be fine in an Exo Terra Nano Tall or equivalent. General setup is basically the same as any other non-Avic arboreal, give them enough sub so that they can burrow if they want to, a bark slab or half-tube leant into a corner, plenty of low-mid height plant cover around the bark, and a water dish.

Non Avic setup 3.jpg
Non Avic setup 4.jpg

Also what's the best substrate for it?
There's no "best substrate", any of the acceptable substrate choices (topsoil/peat/coco fibre) are fine, what you use comes down to personal preference.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I had my H mac mature male.. I can honestly say while its a beautiful species, I personally will never get one again, literally never saw mine at all

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yes.Iv had a few, never a old world though.
Being honest, and don't want to sound rude or harsh or anything else.

I'm at tarantulas Uk too, and saw your post, and knowing that you started recently in the hobby, in august, I'd suggest you to sell or swap the T.

You have in you hands a very fast, bolty and highly venomous species. I don't want to discourage you, but it would be better for you and the T to follow different paths.

One thing is to adquire knowledge via books, internet, forums etc, and another totally different thing is to learn muscle memory to have the good and right reflexes. Unfortunately those reflexes are acquired via experience, not reading, and those are highly necessary to handle such species, or you will have a lot of chances to end up in ER, because the bite of that thing could leave you having serious peoblems.

I hope you pay attention to all the good advices given here, because they were given from the experience. They can be too direct, but they are going to be the more honest advices you will receibe.

Sincerely,

Ibon

B124

Arachnopeon
Being honest, and don't want to sound rude or harsh or anything else.

I'm at tarantulas Uk too, and saw your post, and knowing that you started recently in the hobby, in august, I'd suggest you to sell or swap the T.

You have in you hands a very fast, bolty and highly venomous species. I don't want to discourage you, but it would be better for you and the T to follow different paths.

One thing is to adquire knowledge via books, internet, forums etc, and another totally different thing is to learn muscle memory to have the good and right reflexes. Unfortunately those reflexes are acquired via experience, not reading, and those are highly necessary to handle such species, or you will have a lot of chances to end up in ER, because the bite of that thing could leave you having serious peoblems.

I hope you pay attention to all the good advices given here, because they were given from the experience. They can be too direct, but they are going to be the more honest advices you will receibe.

Sincerely,

Ibon
Iv become aware, I had T's years ago but recently just got back into the hobby, iv spoke to the shop and there happy for me to give it back. I admit it was a silly rash decision I made. Some comments were so rude, there's a nicer way of putting across I made a wrong decision, actually put me off from getting any more T's so thanks guys for making me feel so <edit> 👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Iv become aware, I had T's years ago but recently just got back into the hobby, iv spoke to the shop and there happy for me to give it back. I admit it was a silly rash decision I made. Some comments were so rude, there's a nicer way of putting across I made a wrong decision, actually put me off from getting any more T's so thanks guys for making me feel so <edit> 👍🏻
There is no reason to feel that way. Everyone has made bad decissions, me encluded, the thing is to learn from that bad decissions.

You should be proud about your decission, as many are not capable of asuming their errors.

Some, me included aside from translation issues, could sound harsh or rude because usually if we advice someone to not to do something in a nicer way, 90% of the time, they will do it anyway, because they don't want to see that risk or don't want to hear bad things about it, so being harsh it's a manner to advice them or make them feel about the potential risk they are exposed.

I hope sincerely that you will continue in the hobby.

B124

Arachnopeon
There is no reason to feel that way. Everyone has made bad decissions, me encluded, the thing is to learn from that bad decissions.

You should be proud about your decission, as many are not capable of asuming their errors.

Some, me included aside from translation issues, could sound harsh or rude because usually if we advice someone to not to do something in a nicer way, 90% of the time, they will do it anyway, because they don't want to see that risk or don't want to hear bad things about it, so being harsh it's a manner to advice them or make them feel about the potential risk they are exposed.

I hope sincerely that you will continue in the hobby.
I put this on because I was excited, I was having a look into the species at the time and was doubting my decision before I got made to feel like crap. I originally went in to get a juvinile Brazilian black (they had it in the shop the week before) It had gone by the time I went back to the shop. With them only having this or slings I made the rash decision to go for it. I will admit when I'm wrong, I do read up about Ts before I decide to buy them. However on this occasion it was a heat of the moment thing, I was gutted I would of been leaving the shop without a T so made the silly rash decision. Lesson learnt to not be so rash and research before I buy, if I ever feel confident enough to get another after this. I had little warning from the lady in the shop all she advised was not to handle it. I feel like a complete jerk now. I appreciate the concern from everyone just didn't expect people to be a jerk about it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Sometimes it's better to be a "jerk" and prevent giving somebody a bad time at ER, like in this case.

Don't take the advices like a personal thing, but like a manner to advice somebody about the potential risk it's facing.

If you can get a G. Pulchra, go for it, you won't regret. Maybe there are some available in the classified section.

This is mine 😁
View attachment VID_20210823_165138.mp4

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Tbh I'd rather feel the sting of a user on a forum on the other side of the world who cares about animals, rather than a chomp from a H. Mac because people were too scared to be upfront with me.

Maybe if the person at the store who sold you that T did that in the first place, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

B124

Arachnopeon
Sometimes it's better to be a "jerk" and prevent giving somebody a bad time at ER, like in this case.

Don't take the advices like a personal thing, but like a manner to advice somebody about the potential risk it's facing.

If you can get a G. Pulchra, go for it, you won't regret. Maybe there are some available in the classified section.

This is mine 😁
View attachment 400210
Your right I was taking the comments to heart. I clearly wasn't thinking about my safety or the safety of the T. I'm just glad it's dealt with now. Wow 😍 what a beaut your T is. Maybe one day in the future 😊

Tbh I'd rather feel the sting of a user on a forum on the other side of the world who cares about animals, rather than a chomp from a H. Mac because people were too scared to be upfront with me.

Maybe if the person at the store who sold you that T did that in the first place, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
I agree, I wish I was told more info about the T but she can't just be all to blame, I should of done my own research before just buying one for the sake of leaving the shop with a new T. Lesson learnt 👍🏻

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Ok, I am sorry but I am going to say it anyway.
As far as I have been reading this thread I can't see a single moment where people were actually jerks with you. Being direct is not being a jerk, harsh maybe.
Unfortunately they didn't give you the answer that you were looking for, but you need to understand that jumping directly into a "hot" tarantula is quite bad to the hobby should some accident happens, not even mentioning to the tarantula or you.
Also if you confidence is so easily destroyed its because you weren't even convinced in the first place.
I have OWs and I wouldn't pick any H.maculata or S.calceatum.
You did a good thing giving the tarantula back. You have much more beautiful and easy to deal tarantulas available.