Is m Heteroscodra maculata too big for the enclosure it's in.

B124

Arachnopeon
Ok, I am sorry but I am going to say it anyway.
As far as I have been reading this thread I can't see a single moment where people were actually jerks with you. Being direct is not being a jerk, harsh maybe.
Unfortunately they didn't give you the answer that you were looking for, but you need to understand that jumping directly into a "hot" tarantula is quite bad to the hobby should some accident happens, not even mentioning to the tarantula or you.
Also if you confidence is so easily destroyed its because you weren't even convinced in the first place.
I have OWs and I wouldn't pick any H.maculata or S.calceatum.
You did a good thing giving the tarantula back. You have much more beautiful and easy to deal tarantulas available.
I totally understand people's frustration with me. I'm also frustrated with my self for being an idiot. Like iv previously said it was a stupid rash decision, and I also realised my own protection aswell as the T. It's done with now I'm returning it on Wednesday when I'm off work. 👍🏻 Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
I totally understand people's frustration with me. I'm also frustrated with my self for being an idiot. Like iv previously said it was a stupid rash decision, and I also realised my own protection aswell as the T. It's done with now I'm returning it on Wednesday when I'm off work. 👍🏻 Thanks guys
I'm not frustrated with you, and no one called you and idiot. Just look around, see the huge variety that it is available, if you want to do the transition to OWs check the Psalmopoeus genus. I am quite sure that you are going to find a tarantula that it's not only easy to care but also amazing.
Just raise it from sling so you have enough time to get to know what you have.

B124

Arachnopeon
I'm not frustrated with you, and no one called you and idiot. Just look around, see the huge variety that it is available, if you want to do the transition to OWs check the Psalmopoeus genus. I am quite sure that you are going to find a tarantula that it's not only easy to care but also amazing.
Just raise it from sling so you have enough time to get to know what you have.
Thanks but I am an idiot, it was an irresponsible decision on my behalf. When I got it home and did some real research I immediately regretted my decision to get it. Thanks to the guys also who have really made really open my eyes to this also. I can honestly say I think I'll just be sticking to docile NWs! ☺

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Hey, don’t beat yourself up or be put off from getting other Ts. It’s good that you posted and respect for listening to advice and getting the spider back to the shop. I don’t know how the conversation went, but IMO the seller is always partially responsible in situations like this.

H.macs are beautiful, I want one, and I’m holding back on that species myself. Keep growing with the hobby and maybe try OWs in the future when you’ve built up a bit more experience! You don’t need to rule anything out right now.

:D

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I'm glad to see that you changed your mind, one, returning the T, and two, the more important one, staying in the hobby 😊

There are a lot of spicy NW that won't pose any major health risk, as their venom is much weaker than the H. mac. That doesn't mean they won't deserve the same respect as any other OW species.

The Acanthoscurria geniculata is a good terrestrial species that will make you jump and stay alert to any sudden reaction. If you want an arboreal one, as @Yigzatoth told you, Psalmopoeus genus would be a nice transition genus.

Now stay in the forum and read a lot about what you want to keep, being NW or OW. You will find a lot of useful information about how to keep them and how to properly setup their enclosures etc. Do not use FB info please, 90% of the given advices are useless and from people who write "awww so cute" to post where the Ts are in danger... Like hanging from a mesh, chewing the enclosure, T climbing the PC's monitor... etc. Mostly is a bunch of stupid people feeding from each other... There are good keepers of course, but the biggest part...

If you have any question, ask it without hesitation!!

"Welcome" to AB hahahahahaha 😉

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I jumped on a hot species early on, albeit not one of the hottest like an H. mac, but medically significant. I recently re-homed it with another member. It takes the bigger person to own that something may not be a right fit in the moment and nothing to feel stupid about. You got good advice from folks that care and have seen this story play out many times over.

So now that’s all taken care of anything striking your interest for a new T? Or maybe qualities you would like to see in a T for recommendations?

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I honestly commend you for realizing your mistake and returning the T. And I hope you continue keeping Ts, you’re the type of person we need in the hobby. Not people that jump into hot species arrogantly and refuse to admit their mistake! It’s refreshing to see someone admit their mistake and correct it. ❤

B124

Arachnopeon
I jumped on a hot species early on, albeit not one of the hottest like an H. mac, but medically significant. I recently re-homed it with another member. It takes the bigger person to own that something may not be a right fit in the moment and nothing to feel stupid about. You got good advice from folks that care and have seen this story play out many times over.

So now that’s all taken care of anything striking your interest for a new T? Or maybe qualities you would like to see in a T for recommendations?
I am interested in a G pulchra but think I'm going to leave it for a while before I get a new T. Maybe one day. 😊

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
I am interested in a G pulchra but think I'm going to leave it for a while before I get a new T. Maybe one day. 😊
Why? They are amazing, easy to care and not defensive (at least mine).
The only downside for me is that they are extremely slow growers, it take years for them to grow some size.

B124

Arachnopeon
That's tomorrow :troll:
I don't think I'll be walking out with a new T tomorrow 😂

Why? They are amazing, easy to care and not defensive (at least mine).
The only downside for me is that they are extremely slow growers, it take years for them to grow some size.
I just want to make sure I do plenty of research before buying another T, could be a few months or so, who knows.