is it worth it?

chuch

Arachnopeon
is it worth it to get a p.metalica? and is it worth it to trade 2 brachy slings and 150 for a p.metalica?

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Hmmm...

In my opinion, not unless you just have a bunch of extra money laying around. And because the simple fact that you are asking, I assume that you don't. There are so many other tarantulas that are just as beautiful for way cheaper, so I think the only reason to pay that much for any T is that you already have a <butt>load of common Ts and want to top off your collection, or you just REALLY personally like the species. Don't get me wrong, P. Mets are extremely beautiful, but I think 90% of the reason people buy them is because of all the hype & the "hey look at me, I've got a P. Metallica" syndrome. If you dont have a Versicolor, I would suggest getting one of those(just as pretty) and simply pocketing the $100+ that you would save not buying the pokie.
But enough of my rant, if you really want to buy it then yeah, thats an ok deal as far as P. metallicas go. They are typically $150-$200, so depending of what brachy slings you're trading, it should come out to right around that range.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuch

Arachnopeon
im not sure maybe 2in and mine arent sexed neither is the p.metalica

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
I would want ventral pics of the metallica i personally wouldn't do it since metallicas sell for around 180 at 1-1.5" but thats just me

advan

oOOo
Staff member
In my opinion, not unless you just have a bunch of extra money laying around. And because the simple fact that you are asking, I assume that you don't. There are so many other tarantulas that are just as beautiful for way cheaper, so I think the only reason to pay that much for any T is that you already have a <butt>load of common Ts and want to top off your collection, or you just REALLY personally like the species. Don't get me wrong, P. Mets are extremely beautiful, but I think 90% of the reason people buy them is because of all the hype & the "hey look at me, I've got a P. Metallica" syndrome. If you dont have a Versicolor, I would suggest getting one of those(just as pretty) and simply pocketing the $100+ that you would save not buying the pokie.
But enough of my rant, if you really want to buy it then yeah, thats an ok deal as far as P. metallicas go. They are typically $150-$200, so depending of what brachy slings you're trading, it should come out to right around that range.
To the OP: It is really up to you. If you really want one than go ahead. Let's say the average price for a P. metallica sling right now is $175. Do you really want to trade your slings away for $25 worth of credit? IMO I would keep the slings and fork over the extra $25 and you also don't have to deal with shipping (that's if it isn't a local trade). In the end it is all up to you.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It might help to know what species the brachy slings are you're referring to...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Then yes, it's worth it for the guy selling you the P. metallica. You're paying/trading more than it's worth, in my opinion.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how much could i get from them then?
Check the For Sale/Trade subforum, search around to see what others are selling them for, and go from there.

I mean...it's really not that hard to do your own homework. :}

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
in my opinion no.

I believe Kelly swift is selling 1 inch slings for $175.

IMHO though P. metallica are overrated. yeah sure, they are blue...yes they are a pokie...

There are so many other great species I would rather get than one of those. Dont get me wrong. Id get one if the price was right. but not untill then.

but yeah, you would be ripping yourself off for that deal. just get 25 more bucks, plus shipping and get one and keep your ther two slings.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
There really is no reason to ask people on here about what you should do with YOUR money. Now asking about the worth of those two Brachy slings is another thing. What you should do is look toward the longrun.

The P. metallica are like the Lexus/Mercedes of the tarantula hobby right now. Many would love to have them, but just can't fork over that kind of money for a sling. Too many risks involved. My most expensive sling was the Lampropelma sp Borneo Black which is also rare in the Hobby. But because I like them so much I purchased one. They aren't rare to the point of being extremely expensive, but they are like the Expeditions of the Hobby. Still costly but in the longrun extremely beautiful and great to have.

So it all boils down to what you want to spend and why. If you want the P. metallica, just purchase it and keep your slings. Those aren't two cheapies you have there yourself to be honest. And BOTH are very beautiful in their own rights.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Overrated T. You know they will hide like 98% of the time? Plus the trade is not a fair deal.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seems a bit high for a P. metallica. If you wanted one that bad, sell your 2 brachys and just pay cash for the pokie.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I would not pay any sling more than a 100$ but that is probably because I live in Europe and they are 70-80$ for a piece. But they are absolutely adorable, my sling teleported all over me today. Cute little speed demons :).

As for America dwelling hobbyists, I guess getting the extra 25 and keeping the slings is better. You can actually negotiate down to 150 since there are more of them around these days.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep the boehmei. They are a very impressive T IMHO,and are always sought after.Personally I would rather have the boehmei than the P.metallica...