Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read that tokay geckos can get up to a foot long, is that true

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read that tokay geckos can get up to a foot long, is that true
yes..i had some that were almost that big, but had a friend who did have a 12 incher..it ate whole mice!

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty common for a healthy male. I've seen alot of 11-12 inchers.

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
and big ones can give a mean bite....ouch

years ago I had to pry one off my hand. and use band-aid afterwards.
I used to work in a reptile zoo and totally underestimated these critters.

when clearing that cage I thought, "well this sluggish treehugger may do a threatdiusplay but it prolly won't dare anything else."

boy was I wrong {D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, they are big alright,the petshop i used to run had a bunch of biggies just roaming the store,it was great hearing the males call at night before closing{D TOKAY........TOKAY brb brbrbrbr, hee hee i loved it,and the customers would freak. saying"oh my god what's that noise?"

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, as said before, they can and do reach 12." I my self have perosnally seen on that was right around the foot mark, and he looked amazing! His name is Fester, I saw him at a show. His owners (I forget their names) were really nice and even gave me a discount on one of his offspring. For years the tokay held the tile for worlds largest gecko, for they can surpass 12" and there are even rumors of huge 24" specimens, (thats a big gecko!) Untill atleast that giant geckos from the genus Rhacodactylus where discovered. These guys are very large and very stocky animals, they are being captive bred and comand a high price. As far as I'm concerned I'll stick with the tokays, they're still my favorite gecko! ~ Rex

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Tokay juvie male.. and he is about 10" now. He's not even a year yet! I can easily see him reaching the ranks of those "Giant Rhacs" mentioned by the previous person. R. leachianus are BIG, but they don't have the beautiful coloration of a Tokay... and $500 per baby is just a bit steep for my purse. I'll take my bitey beast... pretty bitey beast... any day!! :D

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll take my bitey beast... pretty bitey beast... any day!!
Thats really great that you love tokays, even with there temprment issues. But it doesn't have to be that way. If you take the time and energy, you can tame a tokay. We had a wild caught one in my 7th grade homeroom, in September it was as mean as it could be, yet after I was done with it, it was puppy tame by May. All I did was take her out every day for about 15 minutes. After this if she started to squerm I held on, but if she relaxed I would put her down. Also if she ever gave me a threat dispaly or tried to bit, I would give her a quick blast of water from a spray bottle. Over time this meathod has worked for me on several occasions. Hope it helps you guys tame you beasts. ~ Rex

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
KingRex... it's funny that I spent a lot of time seeking out a CB Tokay baby and planning on taming it down. I swore I would be able to do it and all that. But now that I have my little beast and he's so adamant about protecting his "turf", I can't bring myself to change his ways. He's not hurting anyone by acting on his natural instincts... unless of course, I happen to move too slowly and get nailed {D

I really do appreciate his temperament. :cool:

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really do appreciate his temperament.
What ever works for you. But the looks I get from fellow herpers after telling them I've tamed tokays are priceless! ~ Rex