Is it true?

quyen

Arachnopeon
My friend had told me that Chilean rose hairs are "bullet proof". So if you were to drop like a 7 year old G. rosea from like 5ft and onto a floor, it will still live. Is it true?

Don't worry, I won't test this out or anything

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My friend had told me that Chilean rose hairs are "bullet proof". So if you were to drop like a 7 year old G. rosea from like 5ft and onto a floor, it will still live. Is it true?

Don't worry, I won't test this out or anything
No, no no!!!!

Suggestion:
Drop your friend about 20' onto concrete and see if s/he makes it.

Jok

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
By "bulletproof" they just mean that Chilean Rose tarantulas are pretty forgiving in terms of temperature, humidity, feeding schedules, etc. It does not mean that they can be safely dropped - or shot, for that matter.

quyen

Arachnopeon
By "bulletproof" they just mean that Chilean Rose tarantulas are pretty forgiving in terms of temperature, humidity, feeding schedules, etc. It does not mean that they can be safely dropped - or shot, for that matter.
Ohhhhh, that makes so much more sense now. Thank you

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Hardy and easy to care for but please do not shoot.

B. albos are bombproof, but please don't try to blow them up either ;)

quyen

Arachnopeon
Just woken up and see this post...
What? I don't even...of course not!
Of all the weird questions i've seen this is the most....@&&_=/!# of them all.
Please keep sending 'help me, my spider is on his back'-threads...they don't seem stupid anymore at all!
Hahahahahha

Last edited:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
@quyen i am not posting this to be mean. I recognized your name and remembered reading this thread about your T that you handled and dropped: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/is-my-tarantula-going-to-die.282266/
I am new to Ts and this thread about the risks of handling was so helpful to me. I hope your T has continued to do ok after that big fall.

So I think you have first hand experience that while a species may be tough in some ways, they can be fragile in others. It also seems you have firsthand experience to share with your friend who thinks that these Ts are impervious to injury.

That said, everyone says this is the species that is forgiving when it comes to mistakes in husbandry.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
They are, quite literally, bullet proof. I shot mine with a 9mm glock the other day and the round just bounced off of it.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
They are, quite literally, bullet proof. I shot mine with a 9mm glock the other day and the round just bounced off of it.
9mm is nothing! Such a small, useless round. I fired a .30 cal at a G. rosea I had found at a pet store. The rounds were eaten up by the spider, and just formed more dangerous hairs!

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
That's why I carry quality defensive loads in my Glock 19. Those target loads aren't going to stop a mutant super spider attack.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
spidertherapy78combinast: 2514078 said:
@quyen i am not posting this to be mean. I recognized your name and remembered reading this thread about your T that you handled and dropped: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/is-my-tarantula-going-to-die.282266/
I am new to Ts and this thread about the risks of handling was so helpful to me. I hope your T has continued to do ok after that big fall.

So I think you have first hand experience that while a species may be tough in some ways, they can be fragile in others. It also seems you have firsthand experience to share with your friend who thinks that these Ts are impervious to injury.

That said, everyone says this is the species that is forgiving when it comes to mistakes in husbandry.
A remark like this in combination with the info from the other thread @spidertherapy78 quoted is seriously disturbing. Trolling or joking? Or seriously willfully ignorance?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They're not bullet proof, they're boring.
Ah ah you are definitely right but recently I've started to look at my cousins G.rosea sling (I care for him that bugger) with a different perspective... incredibly, always hungry and quite active. Loves the little piece of cork bark, he/she's a sweetie :-s

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ah ah you are definitely right but recently I've started to look at my cousins G.rosea sling (I care for him that bugger) with a different perspective... incredibly, always hungry and quite active. Loves the little piece of cork bark, he/she's a sweetie :-s
I knew you would come around. :p

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Never tried shooting one with a gun, I let one have it with a rage broadhead from my bow, the T just grabbed the arrow, bit the rage off and broke the shift in half.

Last time I saw that rosea it was wearing the fletching from my arrow as a trophy

Tygarys

Arachnopeon
9mm is nothing! Such a small, useless round. I fired a .30 cal at a G. rosea I had found at a pet store. The rounds were eaten up by the spider, and just formed more dangerous hairs!
No, no, no! You need at least .50cal on G. rosea. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
What? Someone asked a question that people found a bit silly about something they didn't know. O-M-G!!!!

Some inverts are built more rugged/tougher then others and they can survive impacts/falls better then other more fragile inverts. Is it really hard to then imagine that maybe some Ts could handle a fall better then others? I don't know of any tarantulas that are more drop/impact resistant but still it's not that far fetched a thing to ask is it?

@chanda did a great job of answering the question btw.