Is it safe to put live cockroaches or any other feeders into my tarantula sling tank

TOwner14

Arachnopeon
This is the first time I’m feeding a tarantula yet alone a sling in my life but I’m worried that if I put a live insect with my T that it will eat it before my T gets a chance. It is a very small cockroach but I’m still worried

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What kind of cockroach and what are the size of the feeder and the sling? You didn't describe any actual sizes of anything.

Some insects you will want to crush their heads before putting them in, some will burrow.

All that being said you can leave pre-killed prey in and the slings will scavenge feed off of them. Safest and easiest way.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
This is the first time I’m feeding a tarantula yet alone a sling in my life but I’m worried that if I put a live insect with my T that it will eat it before my T gets a chance. It is a very small cockroach but I’m still worried
Crush its face. Still moves and incites a good feeding response but can't even hurt a carrot.
No worries.

TOwner14

Arachnopeon
This is the first time I’m feeding a tarantula yet alone a sling in my life but I’m worried that if I put a live insect with my T that it will eat it before my T gets a chance. It is a very small cockroach but I’m still worried (that’s my T in the image) 5C1AEB5C-4939-44CA-A168-4748075FD65D.jpeg

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
That enclosure is too big.
Just from that picture I strongly recommend a downgrade.
It will make everything so much easier.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I will say in advance that enclosure is waaaay to big for that sling...

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
put it in a smaller enclosure and save that one until it grows. Crush the roaches head (if it is a dubia) and drop it in front of the T

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Does it stress the sling out if it’s too big or is it just for me kind of thing?
Well its for a number of reasons. One spiders do not need large spaces, they arent roaming creatures, they will be more secure in a smaller more appropriately sized enclosure, their care will be easier to manage including feeding. And they will be less likely to burrow down for prolonged periods of time from my experience is smaller enclosures that they can adabt more like a hide. Youd be better off with like a 5oz deli cup.

Also what species of tarantula is this? A lot of (most) slings need moisture in their substrate, and yours looks bone dry.

TOwner14

Arachnopeon
What kind of cockroach and what are the size of the feeder and the sling? You didn't describe any actual sizes of anything.

Some insects you will want to crush their heads before putting them in, some will burrow.

All that being said you can leave pre-killed prey in and the slings will scavenge feed off of them. Safest and easiest way.
Well its for a number of reasons. One spiders do not need large spaces, they arent roaming creatures, they will be more secure in a smaller more appropriately sized enclosure, their care will be easier to manage including feeding. And they will be less likely to burrow down for prolonged periods of time from my experience is smaller enclosures that they can adabt more like a hide. Youd be better off with like a 5oz deli cup.

Also what species of tarantula is this? A lot of (most) slings need moisture in their substrate, and yours looks bone dry.
It has plenty of spaces to hide in its enclosure, it has a water dish and my substrate is pretty moist tbh. It’s an Australian bird eating spider and idm if it burrows for long periods of time just need to know if it’s alive and ok really, feeding can’t be that difficult right?? 😖

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It has plenty of spaces to hide in its enclosure, it has a water dish and my substrate is pretty moist tbh. It’s an Australian bird eating spider and idm if it burrows for long periods of time just need to know if it’s alive and ok really, feeding can’t be that difficult right?? 😖
It's a lot easier if the prey item is right next to it.
It's also easier to keep track of and maintain conditions.
Get to da dolla stoe and getcho boy a lil' sum sumin'.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I think you are missing the point to what I said, or just ignoring it lol.

But yes feeding and keeping track of it and all care related to it will be much much easier in an appropriate sized container.....like a deli cup or even small Tupperware container/ amac box.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Even without a full pic that is a bonkers big enclosure mate!!
Downsize! In all seriousness your T won't find a roach if the enclosure is s too big... Anymore info? Size of T?

Renatozzo

Arachnopeon
As a newbie myself I suggest feeding freshly killed feeders to sling, mine all scavenge and this way I don't have to worry about the t's getting in danger

hestoncv

Arachnosquire
Does it stress the sling out if it’s too big or is it just for me kind of thing?
If you have a huge enclosure they will probably just pick a corner they like anyways. Then you throw a cricket in there and it dissappears and think it ate it, only for it to appear later and mess with a molt or something.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How do they eat in the wild w/out your help? Let's use some critical thinking on this one. They sure don't starve.

They are ambush predators.

Does it stress the sling out if it’s too big
YES

I strongly suggest you read the over 60,000 threads here to find the answers to the most basic questions you asked or your T will die.

BTW, the setup you are using is HUGE. Put that T in a 16oz deli cup.

If you post pics of the new setup we'd be happy to check it out.

As a newbie myself I suggest feeding freshly killed feeders to sling, mine all scavenge and this way I don't have to worry about the t's getting in danger
If you feed appropriately sized prey this is a non-issue, there's nothing to worry about it. I feed live prey to Ts that are 1/8".

I've never had a T get taken out by prey.

Last edited: