Is it safe to leave a couple of sac spiders in my bedroom?

goatcheezus

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I’m new and this is my first ever post. I like bugs a lot and usually when I find one I don’t recognize I like to learn a lot about it. Anyway, I just moved into a new place and found two little sac spiders in the corner of my bedroom. Separate webs about a foot and a half apart. Normally I’m fine with leaving spiders if I know I won’t disturb them (there’s another house spider in my room in a web where the wall meets the carpet that I’m leaving alone and am not worried about) but I’ve seen some concerning things about sac spiders online before coming across this forum. Basically I want to know if that’s pest control companies spreading misinformation to scare me about bugs or if it’s a real threat. Should I leave them alone since I know their webs will be undisturbed or should I relocate them to be safe since they do hunt at night? Also if I should move them, is it ok to just catch them in a cup? Thanks for any info!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I’d just relocate the if it was me. I’ve found yellow sac spiders and black widows in my house. I just put them outside.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you have any pictures? There are a lot of species of sac spiders. The only ones that are “rumored” to have medically significant (necrotic) venom are the Cheiracanthium yellow variety. I still see the topic debated today, but there is no confirmed evidence that yellow sac spider bites cause this. Besides, they’re very reclusive and would much rather run away from you than bite.

As far as what you should do I actually have a lot of them in my house in the summer. The females stick to the ceilings and encase themselves in webbing. I’ve actually witnessed males and females in the same room so there’s a good chance my place has become home to an entire family of them. If anything they might kill household pests for you. They won’t do you any harm. If you’re still concerned, relocating wouldn’t be a bad idea. The media loves demonizing spiders whenever possible, so whatever you read is likely misinformation. Hope this helps!

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
The only genus of spiders that are confirmed to have venom that can cause necrosis, is Sicariidae (Loxosceles, Sicarius and Hexophthalma).

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Better clarify things. Cheiracanthium inclusum has a cytotoxic venom so it can cause a necrosis. However the venom is believed to be significantly weaker than that found in sicariidae.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Sac spiders are harmless. There is no evidence to suggest they can cause necrosis. All of the ‘research’ and stories that say otherwise never state that the spider was witnessed causing a bite. It’s always speculation.

The Snark

Old Timer
There is no evidence to suggest they can cause necrosis.
Fascinating. They do have a cell killer toxin, yet the evidence of the bites from a certain species causing necrosis is anecdotal or outright conclusion jumping. Has a gun but has never used it defense. Clinical evidence on both sides but a tenuous connection at best between them.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Fascinating. They do have a cell killer toxin, yet the evidence of the bites from a certain species causing necrosis is anecdotal or outright conclusion jumping. Has a gun but has never used it defense. Clinical evidence on both sides but a tenuous connection at best between them.
I believe that all venomous spiders possess venom that can cause cell death. The thing is that the actual effects that this translates into, are usually minimal. It may be because there isn’t enough venom injected or that the venom doesn’t possess enough quantity of the toxins. As far as I kno, the Spingomyelinase D enzyme in Sicariidae sp. is the only one that can cause notable effects.

The Snark

Old Timer
As far as I kno, the Spingomyelinase D enzyme in Sicariidae sp. is the only one that can cause notable effects.
And even then necrosis developing is rare. Also other factors mostly missing or I'm not seeing at all: the condition of the person envenomed. There are dozens of conditions that could inhibit or exacerbate necrosis. Immune system, diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, anemias and the list goes on.

NYAN

Arachnoking
And even then necrosis developing is rare. Also other factors mostly missing or I'm not seeing at all: the condition of the person envenomed. There are dozens of conditions that could inhibit or exacerbate necrosis. Immune system, diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, anemias and the list goes on.

That’s absolutely correct. Another factor is the location of the bite. For some reason, recluse spider venom causes more severe effects when a bite is in a location with lots of adipose tissue.

The Snark

Old Timer
For some reason, recluse spider venom causes more severe effects when a bite is in a location with lots of adipose tissue.
I wonder what if any test results were at the bite site for profusion or oximeter readings. Also curious of blood sugar levels. Diabetes can strongly affect all sorts of body functions in strange ways..

goatcheezus

Arachnopeon
I’d just relocate the if it was me. I’ve found yellow sac spiders and black widows in my house. I just put them outside.
Thank you! After reading replies to my post I do think I'm going to leave them. They aren't doing anything and they're very tiny and I think it's safer for them if I don't move them and I don't think they're a danger to me.

goatcheezus

Arachnopeon
Do you have any pictures? There are a lot of species of sac spiders. The only ones that are “rumored” to have medically significant (necrotic) venom are the Cheiracanthium yellow variety. I still see the topic debated today, but there is no confirmed evidence that yellow sac spider bites cause this. Besides, they’re very reclusive and would much rather run away from you than bite.

As far as what you should do I actually have a lot of them in my house in the summer. The females stick to the ceilings and encase themselves in webbing. I’ve actually witnessed males and females in the same room so there’s a good chance my place has become home to an entire family of them. If anything they might kill household pests for you. They won’t do you any harm. If you’re still concerned, relocating wouldn’t be a bad idea. The media loves demonizing spiders whenever possible, so whatever you read is likely misinformation. Hope this helps!
I don't have any pictures since I actually just left town for a couple days, but I'm going to leave them in their corner. They won't be disturbed where they are so I don't think they have a reason to act out defensively and I don't think I'm in danger from them. If for whatever reason I do get a bite from one of these sac spiders, it wouldn't be severe. Plus it's probably safer for them if I don't try to relocate, they're so little. Thank you for your reply!