Is it realy a H. schmidti.....?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
Hi,

Haplopelma Species have distinct Tibial Spurs (I've seen them:) )
My Shaky memory vs. your taxonomy knowledge... you win ;)

Bill

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey
Ah! That last one looks like my "longipendum" (?)

it said Ornithoctonus gadgii (think it was gadgi) on the sticker placed on the box it lived in.. real mystery spider.. btw; it also said Vietnamese Bird Spider. Now im not that sure of it being a "longipendum"..
Hi,

okay, something more to clear up.
Ornithoctonus gadgili was described by the indian Arachnologist Prof. Tikader in 1977 ("New descriptions.Studies on some mygalomorph spiders of the families Ctenizidae and Theraphosidae from India.J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc. 74: 306 - 319"). He was actual a Scorpion taxonomist but sometimes he also described Spiders. In this description he described the new Species Ornithoctonus gadgili among other things with good and numerous drawings. Because of that drawings it was very obvious that he didn't described an Ornithoctonus Species, in reality he described nothing more than Poecilotheria regalis. I've revised the Genus Ornithoctonus in 1991 ("Eine Revision der Gattung Ornithoctonus Pocock 1892 (Araneida: Theraphosidae: Ornithoctoninae).Arachn. Anz. 18: 5 - 8") and I've transfered his "Ornithoctonus gadgili" to Poecilotheria regalis. BTW, the Holotype of Tikader's "O. gadgili" was examined by several Arachnologist in the meantime (like Volker Herzig and Andrew Smith) and they confirmed my results! As you also can see, "O. gadgili" is an indian Species (of course, because, it's Poecilotheria regalis in reality ;) ) and has nothing to do with a "Vietnamese bird Spider".
The following picture below shows a Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" and some main characteristics (picture and comments where made by Sören Rafn!)!

Cheers, Volker

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm I knew about the P.regalis = Ornithoctonus gadgili , but I'm quite sure it actually said something like gadgii .. no matches for anything like gadgii? arf i HATE misslabeled spiders.. But after havin seen another pic im more or less certain of it being the vietnamese tiger H. "longipedum" mine is identical.. Thanks Volker von Wirth!