Is it possible

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that T's can live a long period of time without an abdomine if we keep injecting them with food suppliments and such? I'm talking about futuristic idea here where if a T is without an abdomine then it can still live out its lifetime by being taken care of like a paralized person.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i don't see why not, assuming the keeper found some way to "scab" the area where the abdomen formerly existed, and somehow rerouted the heart and digestive system to reside somewhere in the carapace. maybe the keeper could rig a balloon up in which to keep the internal organs that won't fit!

T

Tarantula

I dont think this is possible. In fact I am certain it isnt.

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sort of a bizarre question

:? why would you want to take a spiders abdomen away from it???
:8o The Spider Hunter

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It couldn't breath, crap, web, or anything...
Iam, your killing me.:confused:

Ernie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Lam, You could always experiment on yourself first. All you'd have to do is chop your ass off, rip your lungs out, remove your kidneys and see if you'd survive. If so, it may be a possibility, then again, it still may not. ;)

Atrax

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seeing how everything that's important is located in that part of the T, then I'll have to give your question a big fat NO!

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember years ago I read about some experiments a guy was doing with giant silkworm moths. He ended up cutting the pupae in half, sealing the cut ends with wax, and then inserting growth hormones (or, uh...something :confused: ) into the various halves. Anyway, the control halves died, but the treated halves emerged as half-moths. It was freaky.

Like, for one moth, he ended up getting a live abdomen (which later laid eggs). And for another moth, he ended up with the head, thorax, and just a tiny bit of the abdomen. And for another moth, he cnnected the two halves with a plastic tube and got a moth that would have been whole if only it didn't have a plastic tube connecting the back to the front.

I'll have to do some searching around, to see if I can dig up some information on that experiment.

BTW, I forget what the hell the point of the experiment was. But it must have been something important. Hopefully.

And not that that has anything to do with tarantulas, but I still thought it was pretty neat.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Hey Lam, You could always experiment on yourself first. All you'd have to do is chop your ass off, rip your lungs out, remove your kidneys and see if you'd survive. If so, it may be a possibility, then again, it still may not. ;)

Atrax
Laughing my @ss off!!!!! Well put Atrax!!!

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hahahahaha. Nice responses guys. I wasn't suggesting that we remove the abdomine. It's just that sometimes accidents happen and we have to think of ways to compensate. If you look behind you right now, you will see me with a big chopping nife ready to remove your butt, heart, lungs and your digestive system. Go ahead and look.

Anywhooo...

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
I wasn't suggesting that we remove the abdomine. It's just that sometimes accidents happen and we have to think of ways to compensate.
Hi lam,
OK, in that case, no, it's definately not possible. There's just too many vital organs in the abdomen for this to work. Now if you removed your ass lam, there's quite a possibility that you'd make it. OMG, this is still just too funny!

On the same note some sick scientist, many years ago, decided to remove all the legs from a tarantula to see how it would cope. I believe he glued the thorax to a pedastal of sorts and hand fed the spider. It survived and began to regenerate all it's legs. I have absolutely no idea why he tried this and it sounds beyond sick to me.

Cheers,
Steve

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lam, I was just clownin', hence the " ;) " (I'm guessing that you were too?)

If such an accident were to happen to one of my T's, personally, in the freezer the T would go. (if there were even any signs of life in it at that point)

Steve, I agree, that experiment sounds demented and sick! Despite whatever the guy was attempting to prove, his experiment was nothing more than pure torture.

Take care. :)

Atrax

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Its when the scientist takes objectivity to a new level and forgets their own humanity that ethical concerns usually arise. Such is the case of mengela and many other of the holocaust surgical experimentors.

The sad thing is that immunity was given to many of them for the information they gleaned off their human subjects on genetics and reaction to different extremes.

I dont see any possible reason to keep a T alive with a missing abdomen(even if it was possible). Sure, they have different sensory organs than we do, but there is always respect for life. Regardless of how small and insiginificant it may seem under a microscope.

-V

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wierd

Ok, I have come to the conclusion that you have a very weird imagination and far too much time on you hands. :)

Kinda hard to take a crap without a butthole. Allthough I knew a lady once that had her butthole sewn up and took her dumps out of the side of her stomach in a little bag.

I think it was called a colostomy or something like that . I was only 9 years old when I walked in on her going to the bathroom and well, It was hard for my mother to explain and pretty traumatizing to a 9 year old.

Anyway my answer is no.

-Charlie

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
My first questions is WHY? Why would you even want to keep a spider alive that had lost so much of its vital functions? It wouldn't be able to breed, it won't be able to fulfill its biological imperatives, so there's no reason to keep it alive, IMO. It doesn't know and doesn't care that you're "giving it a second chance at life". I say put it down and use the money to help other, more viable specimens instead.