is it possible to keep a Araneus gemmoides (Cat-faced spider) in captivity?

Arachnides Canada

Arachnopeon
so I know that usually they shouldn't be kept as pets since like all orb weavers they make large webs and wont usually eat without them. I was wondering though, what is I made something similar to a large picture frame? of Course it would be a lot wider, taller and thicker so it would have plenty of room to build their web, and I would have a mesh top door for ventilation. do you think this would work at all?

thanks! also if any of you do by any chance have one I would love to see your enclosure!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Ya people've done it before, there's a pretty good thread about nephilia sp somewhere on here, but you'll have to search yourself.

SilentWidowMaker

KingWidow
so I know that usually they shouldn't be kept as pets since like all orb weavers they make large webs and wont usually eat without them. I was wondering though, what is I made something similar to a large picture frame? of Course it would be a lot wider, taller and thicker so it would have plenty of room to build their web, and I would have a mesh top door for ventilation. do you think this would work at all?

thanks! also if any of you do by any chance have one I would love to see your enclosure!
I just found one today outside of my yard in a window and brought it in. First time I've seen this spider.

Attachments

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Some orbweavers will build webs indoors readily, such as Nephila and Neoscona, but others (particularly Araneus bicentenarius) will refuse to web and eventually die even if you give them lots of space (like the entire room) and open a window for air circulation. Idk which category this one falls into, but if she goes several days without making a web I would release her.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ya people've done it before, there's a pretty good thread about nephilia sp somewhere on here, but you'll have to search yourself.